Should Racism be tolerated in these forums?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Stryder, Nov 14, 2007.

?

Should Racism be tolerated on these forums?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2007.
  1. Yes.

22.8%
  2. No.

56.1%
  3. Abstain/Undecided

21.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Since it's likely there is going to be an increase in the trend of Banning a few minority members within the forums because of their distinct Racist rantings, I thought that perhaps people might apply their position to the following question:

Should Racism be tolerated in these forums?

Pick an option within the poll and/or post a point you liked to make (This isn't for clowning or bigotry, we have plenty of other threads for that)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

the question cannot be answered since I received an infraction once for racism by stating that americans are fat.

Therefore the administration team should first attend a seminar on racism, and then on science. And then maybe a course. And then they can maybe become my student for a few weeks at the lab.

then we can talk about it.

So,

Yes!

If it means that the racism tag will be used as a harassment tool by the moderator team.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I think if we say YES it will get way out of hand! I think some members will take it way too far.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I would say there is a fine line between racism, and making an argument about race. You have to be willing to see both sides of the issue instead of doing what some now banned members have done which was to just plug their ears and say "nanananan its the blacks fault". I also think that if the only argument you ever make is that your race is the best race there is no real reason you should be welcomed here.

But like I said, its a fine line and I think that some of the mods would ban people who actually are decent posters here if Racism=ban. It can be taken to both extremes.

Ps.....Americans are fat =p well compared to most of the world = )

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Spurious, I really wouldn't dwell too much on the whole "American's are fat" incident, You should know not all American's are fat and that you were "Stereotyping" in regards to a few that must have upset you at some point. As for the moderation response, a little heavy handed perhaps but it's water under the bridge.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

There must be a difference between something considered 'racist' and something considered 'incitement to hate'. Racism, though unethical is probably more natural and more ingrained than many 'non-racists' would care to admit. If someone has a racist rant, without incitement to hate, but merely stating opinions based on some kind of knowledge or logic, then the person can be challenged and the subject debated. If they are merely banned and the thread deleted then where does that leave free and open discussion?

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Good point:scratchin:

11. Grandtheftcow Registered Member

I hope you cockslapped the mod in question for that bit of stupidity.

If you disagree with someones opinion debate it and if they engage in broken record debating tactics call them on it. If you really don't like them hope they break enough rules to get kicked to the curb.

An easier discussion would have been on hate speech rather than just racism.

12. DeepThought Banned Banned

I totally agree.

In a recent thread Tiassa was racially abused by members of this forum which I would consider grounds for an immediate ban and yet nothing was done?

Sudoku may sound like a stuck record but as long as he's not leveling racist abuse at members what's the problem?

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I think that it was obvious that Count sudoku was a racist, I think maybe he should just have been givin a temporary ban to teach him to change his arguments or find a new angle from which to argue his points of view (however disgusting I find them), because honestly I was gertting tired of hearing how whites are smarter than blacks over and over and over.

I mean isnt that just trolling?

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

it wholly depends on what you call rascism!

15. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Posts like his scare away reasonable, intelligent people and attract other racist jackasses. Do nothing about them, and before you know it this place will be ********** for Scientists.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Since some of you want to travel further down the "Rabbit hole", let me explain myself:

I know I might of told some of you about the anecdote of how there was once a group of people that did 'Board wars' where they would infiltrate a forums and turn them on one another. Well the reason I knew about the group is because a long time ago one of the old moderators was apart of that group and asked me along to attack a particular renowned racially bigotted site.

They'd done their homework for their site, they knew that the moderators of their forum at the time moderated new members and that they had to maintain the appearance of normal posters to get the privileges up enough to get past the flood blocks that their forums had installed.

(Their plan of attack was a simple DoS through overposting)

One of the main sickopath things about such a site was the fact that they had generated a kind of Kindergarten website, it was a bit like say the Nickelodeon website for kids just it's entire content was to promote racism and hatred aimed at people that were every other colour and creed other than White American's.

I thought that it was in fact probably the sickest (I don't mean as in 'Sick = cool') type of site I've ever come across, attempting to pervert young minds at an early age into uneducated extremism. They did pretty much what Sukodu did, where things were quoted out of context and facts manipulated. They had the nerve to quote Malcolm X and Martin Luther King in way to suggest to their children 'How their enemies think' and 'What these people really meant with their speeches' where they totally distorted the facts to make them sound like they wanted a particular people to be oppressed or seen as weak.

It's made me very wary of Racism and the true hidden espionage where their foot soldiers are sent amongst communities to generate Anarchy and gain new recruits to their cause. I really don't want to see Sciforums as being their recruiting ground, and therefore seen as 'Their Territory' which is why I'm prepared to take drastic actions to shut their hate drives down.

17. Grandtheftcow Registered Member

This isn't the commie bogyman of the fifties.

You really believe a bunch of barely literate copy and paste redneck trolls are going to convince anyone here to go off and join the whitey ethnic army?

This is just American style paranoia.

18. DeepThought Banned Banned

NAIL ON HEAD!

19. peta9 Registered Senior Member

They do try to brainwash young dissaffected people. It's easy appealing to ego, ethnicity, pride and hate. Base emotions are easy to appeal to considering most people have an angst about something and would like a scapegoat.

20. Looney Whaaaaat? Registered Senior Member

I didn't know that American was a race.

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Now who's stereotyping? The Redneck troll is just one type of Racist, their are some that put a lot of time, effort and more importantly money into their methods of trying to accumulate followers. After all to make their cause more genuinely viable they have to gain followers that are 'Pillars of the community' or other such role models.

22. peta9 Registered Senior Member

a lot of them are considered pillars of the community, many times religious too.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What pissed me about Sudoku mainly was his intellectual dishonesty not racism,
    but I agree that racism should not be tolerated, because it nurtures violence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.