Copernican Heresy

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by ThazzarBaal, Feb 8, 2023.

1. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Do you know anything if their faith? Its In their proclaimed faith that the evidence is found, written and proclaimed to be the foundation of and likewise expected to be honored.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Faith and evidence are distinct things.

Dywyddyr is asking for the latter, which is expected to be objective, not faith-based.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Oh! She doth teach the torches to burn bright!
    It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night, like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear.
    Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear.

The most lovely evocation of being thunderstruck by woman's beauty. And with a hint of prophecy........

(I studied that play for O Level and got a Grade 1, in 1969

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

But none of this has anything to do with the topic of the thread.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Faith isn't evidence. (Despite what the Bible claims[1]).

1 This is an example of religion NOT being a fan of truth.

8. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

That's a relevant point to my point, so are individual subjective truths. They are personal to every individual. A personal relationship with life and how we experience and understand it uniquely is what I'm referring to in terms of subjective truths being relevant.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You are now using a highly problematic definition of the word 'truth'.

Remember the thread subject: Galileo committing heresy. How does the "personal truth" some dude-in-a tall-pointy-hat determine how the planets go around in the heavens and thus Copernicus' fate?

10. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

East of the garden reference, cherubim, flaming sword turning every which way, there to keep the way of the tree of life. Allegory maybe, and no less an allegory from Shakespeare. In context directly to the thread is how the church accepted the allegory, how Shakespeare makes use of it, and also morning star referenced twice, Lucifer/Jesus, descending and ascending as they relate to sons and or children of God.

11. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

It's an example of Hosea 4 6 and darkness or unknowing coming before illumination. Accrptence comes after understanding, whether subjective or objective.

12. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Copernican heresy is the thread title and it's about walking into truths yet to be accepted.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Exactly. So "personal truths", as you call them, are not "accepted truths".

14. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Do you accept your personal truth? I accept mine. The church also accepts objective truths. I do too.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This walks and talks like strawman.

You are using 'truth' as a weasel word - a word that has multiple different meanings, depending on the context it's used in. You are equivocating between the two and obfuscating their meaning, hoping that readers will connect the dots themselves without you connecting them explicitly.

Connect those dots. Make your case regarding the thread topic.

16. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

I thought I had. We don't know until we know, but in-between those points are also beliefs, which we work out. Why? Because there is reason to believe them. Medicine and disease for example. Belief on to efforts on to cures. From unknowing to knowing, hence my reference to Hosea 4:6. We are destroyed because we lack knowledge, so truth and knowledge is the fundamental purpose of the church...increasing our abilities to discern truth from error being required also. That's a 1 John 4 reference.

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You have not connected those dots to Copernican Heresy, which is what this thread is about.

18. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Were his views accepted by the church at the onset, or did it take the church time to accept them?

19. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

First post was changed but apparently the changes did not stand. I'm unsure why. They were not able to validate Copernicus' views at the onset, but later were able, which is why they were later accepted by the church. After ability to validate became apparent.

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This does not make sense. It was not the business of the church to try to validate scientific observations. Though the Jesuits had the job of absorbing intellectual ideas and trying to fit them to theology where appropriate.

Galileo's promotion of Copernicus's ideas was opposed because, at the time, they were neurotic about the rapid spread of Protestant ideas - it was the time of the Reformation. (Galileo lived about 50 years after Luther and Calvin.) The science community (then consisting of just a handful of individuals) however carried on regardless, especially in Protestant Northern Europe, where there was no central church authority with any power to prohibit anything. It was soon obvious that the heliocentric model was by far the best one to use, especially when Newton came up with a mechanism (gravitation) that explained the whole thing - provided one applied it to a heliocentric model. The church's opposition to heliocentrism faded and was dropped a century or so later.

21. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Did they and have they continued to adopt established scientific findings, not long after proven? The church specifically.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If my subjective truth is that pigs can fly, does that make it true?

What does "subjective truth" even mean? If subjective truth differs from objective truth, what then?

We already told you. The church didn't officially accept the Copernican theory (admitting that Galileo was persecuted unjustly) until 1992.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

The church, as a rule, neither adopts, nor fails to adopt, scientific findings. Science is not its job.

Since the Galileo affair, the Catholic church has avoided being trapped into taking a position on scientific matters. Its stance has been one of understanding new science and fitting the new understanding into the way it teaches religion, in those few cases were there may be perceived to be a potential conflict. A good example is the series of lectures Cardinal Wiseman gave in Rome in the 1840s, to show how the new findings of geology about the age of the Earth could be accommodated in how the Old Testament was to be interpreted. As for Darwin and evolution, the Catholic church (unlike certain Anglican bishops) stayed out of the initial debate in the c.19th and then in the c.20th took a formal position that the theory was not in conflict with church teaching.

And in fact, when it was a Catholic priest, Mgr. LemaƮtre, who was the first to put forward the expanding universe model that became known as the Big Bang, the church went out of its way to avoid dramatically claiming that this was evidence for the act of creation of the universe by God, even though many clergymen were very excited by the idea.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023