Film/Movie Recommendations

Just watched Pitch Perfect 3. I'm a sucker for the rather goofy Anna Kendrick and her friends. Enjoyable film. Good music. Feel good factor dialled up to 11. And John Lithgow as an Australian bad guy. Just a shame it's the last in the series.
Unless they do a parody: Pitch Perfect 45... when they‘re all in their 70s and have to come together to prevent a retirement home from closing. Or something like that. ;)

Ready Player One

So far this is the only movie where you will see MechaGodzilla, Iron Giant and a Gundam battling. Though the story is about self discovery, relationships, and modern social order, I can't get past the fact that they had all three of them in this movie.

Last edited:
Just can't seem to bring myself to see it.
80's nostalgia has been beaten to death. Anything I cherished about the era is now available at every five-n-dime.
I have a feeling I won't get the warm & fuzzies from this film.
This is a nice movie you can enjoy with your children and it gives them a good message, search for the truth

"The Young Lions" - parallel stories either side of the war, one following somewhat of a meek American (Montgomery Clift), another his actor friend who is also drafted (Dean Martin), and the third being a German who is portrayed rather sympathetically by Marlon Brando.
It's a classic. 1958. B&W. Quite slow, but interesting enough. Look it up on Wiki, though, to see if it's your cup o' tea.

"American Made" (Tom Cruise et al)
Quite a good movie.
Based on the true story of an affable family man who happens to be the primary US drug/gun smuggler associated with the Medellin cartel from its earliest days.
I won't give away how it unfolds, but it's based on a true story so you can look it up. :)

Edit: just to clarify - not everything in the film is true... but it is based on a true story.
It's not trying to be a biopic.

Last edited:
If it's a Tom Cruise movie, based would be like saying Little Red Riding Hood was based on the Loch Ness Monster

A action movie from a cookie cutter

:)
It's not really an action movie, though.
More like "Catch Me If You Can", or "Wolf of Wall Street"

But Elron Hubbard said it was true! So did the angel Moron I, to Joseph Smith. (Sounds like an alias to me. I think his name was really John...)

Thank Chupacabra that I don't subscribe to fantasy.

I believe in ponies and puppies.

I believe in 12-gauge when I'm walking about. Not east Austin, but up here in the boonies, anyway.

"The Young Lions" - parallel stories either side of the war, one following somewhat of a meek American (Montgomery Clift), another his actor friend who is also drafted (Dean Martin), and the third being a German who is portrayed rather sympathetically by Marlon Brando.
It's a classic. 1958. B&W. Quite slow, but interesting enough. Look it up on Wiki, though, to see if it's your cup o' tea.
I've seen it. Interesting but not exactly my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of Montgomery Clift or Marlon Brando, so judge my opinion accordingly.

On the other hand, "Secondhand Lions" was one of the best I've seen.

Of course, Robert Duvall made it so, and Michael Caine didn't hurt either.

Hell, anything Duvall is in is automatically a fine film. I'll be very sorry to see him pass. If I make to that day, anyhow.

On the other hand, "Secondhand Lions" was one of the best I've seen.

Of course, Robert Duvall made it so, and Michael Caine didn't hurt either.

Hell, anything Duvall is in is automatically a fine film. I'll be very sorry to see him pass. If I make to that day, anyhow.
///

Last edited:
Back