Film/Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Omega133, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"Citizen Kane" and "When Worlds Collide"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Citizen Kane, horribly overrated and boring "intellectual" shit, nobody likes that for real.

Saw 3D was pretty good, going to see this too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJcpr4H77M

No films without 3D are worth watching anymore.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i watched the better part of "metropolis" the other night. that was cool. i don't think i've ever seen a silent film before.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

clever people like that for real.

keep munching the popcorn

8. John99 Banned Banned

It depends on your perspective. Though we see things differently now, but only because we have already seen these things. Fromthe perspective of a film maker or one who is interesed in film they would appreciate the movie. I love black and white films and how directors use lighting and shadows, as an example.

9. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

You mean people who want to appear clever, but don't really cut it.

I don't eat popcorn, it sticks between my teeth.

It's so pretensious to point out one particular film as a must-like for all filmlovers, otherwise you're not one of us, otherwise you know nothing about film etc. And it always has to be an old black and white film, involving some semi-talented stiff upper lip actor, sharp shadows and theatrical dialogue. Yes, I think that's what I dislike the most about it, it's not film, it's theatre.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
  10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Citizen Kane is a great technical accomplishment, combining various cinematic techniques in a virtuoso manner, so much so that it's almost unrecognizable as an accomplishment (since all of the advances soon became totally mainstream in the cinema). Hence the glowing critical reception - film students can watch the thing ten times over just geeking out on the deep focus and other techniques. But as a movie, it kind of sucks, and making a point of liking it is the hallmark of pretension. Rule of thumb: if you ask a fan of this movie what they like about it and get anything other than 20+ minutes of nerd exposition about incomprehensible technical jargon, you're dealing with somebody who's putting on airs.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

12. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Machete is one cool movie.

Jessica Alba could have been sexier though.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Saw The Ugly Truth

Katherine Heigl seems to be advertising for anorexia, which is really puzzling since off screen she appears to have real curves. Movie is so-so, a chick flick which seems to indicate that being ditzy is a personality requirement in women.

I like the song by Natasha Bedingfield though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztCMNHAT8uM

2/5

14. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You mean like one of the best movies every made, "Touch of Evil"? And they have these things called toothpicks, very convenient.

16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well that's your opinion but millions will disagree with you. That film, when it came out, was the most brilliant work of Orson Wells and for that fact in all of the movies before it. He was a genius that others copied to try to keep pace with his extraordinary abilities in movie making. As was already stated here those movies that followed this one used many of the new techniques he displayed and are still being used in some films to this day. If you cannot recognize a brilliant producer, director and actor for his time it is only because you lack the intellectual abilities to do so.

18. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Titanic got tons of oscars. Doesn't mean the movie is any good.

Interestingly, the film Citizen Kane flopped at the box office. Apparently the people at the time didn't think the movie was particular good.

And then it's status was revived by French (!) film critics. We know all about the pretentious french of course. When they like something it surely must be some convulated pretentious piece of poop.

It's full of innovations? Apparently the people weren't ready for it when it was released. 'the movie was ahead of its time'. That can be interpreted also as it was a total fiasco for its time. In other words, it was a really shitty movie when it was made. However, cultural ideas change over time, and suddenly this movie fitted in with the new notions on cultural goodness.

And is the movie any good now? Hell no. It's only good for some. If others don't like it it is still a piece of crap.

The shared opinion of greatness doesn't mean universal greatness. Millions of Germans were just loving Hitler. Doesn't mean he was any good.

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

What? Are you calling me stupid? Are you insane? :jason:

The actor is ugly, ok. Some films just fall on that. Unsympathetic.

To tell the truth, I haven't seen it in maybe 20 years, so I really don't have an honest up to date opinion, just memories of being bored. But it's so funny to hear how upset people become and start bragging about their " knowledge".

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There is a semi-official consensus among film critics that Citizen Kane is the greatest film ever made, which has led Roger Ebert to quip: "So it's settled: Citizen Kane is the official greatest film of all time."[2] It topped both the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies list and the 10th Anniversary Update, as well as all of the Sight & Sound polls of the 10 greatest films for nearly half a century.
    WIKI

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Haven't seen it but that's an unusual effect. If anything, the camera more often makes people look fat, especially chick flicks with their preponderance of indoor scenes that have to be shot with wide-angle lenses. This is why live TV shot in close-quarter studios and sitcoms shot on small sets are so unflattering. It's become a cliche that TV actresses have to look like Auschwitz refugees off screen in order to avoid looking like decadent Imperial Romans on screen.
    Corporate filter won't let me go there right now but I'll check it out at home. I love Natasha.

22. John99 Banned Banned

I am critical of movies that insult my intelligence. Some serious movies have directors or produccers that go through a checklist of crap they think people want to see and it is so blatant.

I prefer actors that look like normal people, i can watch a movie with an uglt or even all ugly people. To me this is more realistic, though ugly is not the right word and tbf i should say somewhat average. Kane was a good movie though. Of course i prefer old movies and due tack on extra points for that. There is a good b&w movie set in the Florida Keys where criminals go to a hotel and ride a storm out. Though it had some of my favorite actros in it...namely Humphrey Bogart and Edward G. Robinson to name a few. Old man in a wheelchair as well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  23. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

exactly. BUT after it flopped.

Did you read my post at all?