Legalizing Marijuana: Why Should It Be Done...

baumgarten said:
If responsible drug users were more common, then perhaps the drugs they used would have a stronger case for legalization.

I think that all illegal narcotics should be legalized and taxed. The majority of the money that the governments make from the sale of the drugs should be used to create responsible drug users or help drug addicts. I don’t think that a person should be charged for possessing small amounts of any drug. However I do believe that people should be charged for possessing large amounts of a drug or selling it without some kind of license. (Doctors, pharmacists, Ect.)

leopold99 said:
this can be said of almost any drug.

I'm unable to understand your position here.

What are you advocating regarding marijuana?

TruthSeeker said:
They can still take T3 or cold medication, if they want to get more "buzzed"... :rolleyes:
Which they could overdose on and possibly die from? As far as I'm aware, there have been no cases of marijuana overdose, no matter the species of the plant. In fact, as far as I'm aware, you'd sooner die of asphyxiation than of too much weed. If I'm correct, then in most respects it's safer to get more buzzed with marijuana.

tablariddim said:
Thing is, would you be happy knowing that your bus driver, your children's teacher, your accountant, your surgeon etc is even slightly stoned, albeit legally?
There are restrictions on the legal use of alcohol, most of which are perfectly and undeniably reasonable. The same could, and should, be done for any other substance which impairs your ability to safely execute potentially lethal actions.

In the United States, we have similar problems with legal pharmaceutical products. How do we ensure prices stay low enough that addicts don't have to mug other people to pay for them?

Medicaid?

spidergoat said:
You mean it is non-addictive, and alcohol is a dangerous addictive drug.
It can be addictive in very large doses...

You don't know what you're talking about. Anything can be laced with anything, but pot usually isn't, unless you buy dimebags on the street.
I doubt it, if you had crack, you would sell crack.
Maybe it is you that don't know what you are talking about. I'm from Rio de Janeiro. We have some of the biggest slums in the world. Drug dealers lace weed with a whole bunch of stuff all the time, there. They do that to get people addicted to it and then into the hardcore stuff.

TruthSeeker said:
Of course. Never said otherwise...
Then I don't get it. Why allow C. indica but not C. sativa and C. ruderalis? And why suggest that people use other stuff if they want to get a good buzz?

TruthSeeker said:
It can be addictive in very large doses...
Do you mean chemically or psychologically?

samcdkey said:
What do you mean psychologically?
I mean you begin to emotionally rely on the substance to make you feel good — in much the same way you can rely on food with the subconscious intent to fill a void, for example — as opposed to your body relying on the substance.

Athelwulf said:
I mean you begin to emotionally rely on the substance to make you feel good — in much the same way you can rely on food with the subconscious intent to fill a void, for example — as opposed to your body relying on the substance.

Yes but is there psychological addiction without chemical changes in the body?

Legalize it. Tax it. Put a legal age limit on the sale of it. Let it only be sold in tabacco stores an liquior stores. Make sure that it is kept under lock and key. Have everyone who purchases it sign something like you have to do at the drug store with certain medications that are kept behind the pharamacy counter. Put the American farmer back to work. The Government can then reap the reveue rewards...(get Bush stoned...that would be fun)...perhaps do something good for this country....provide counseling and rehabs for those who abuse it. Use the profits from it to finance such places. Make the price the same as it is on the street. Let it be packaged in government facilities where it can be regulated and watched to make sure that it is not laced (including chemicals that cause addiction). It comes from a seed. It is a natural plant. GOD put it on this earth so we can deal with each another. It isn't manufactured like meth and other drugs. Put laws in place to restrict how high a person should not be to drive a car just like they do with alcohol. Gunja and alcohol is not a sin. The abuse of it is. Take the dangerous drug dealers of the street. Stop drug trafficing (that generated from MJ, anyhow) from coming into the US. Imagine the jobs it could generate. Imagine the violence that could be reduced. Imagine the more law abiding citizens there would be in this courtry. Imagine the more registered voters there could be taking an interest in their rights as a pot smoker. And BTW... it is great for menapausal women.

samcdkey said:
Yes but is there psychological addiction without chemical changes in the body?
Technically speaking, it's all chemical. Our body makes its own chemicals, which are responsible for making us feel, and appropriate ones are triggered when cued. However, I believe a contrast is made, for example, between how your body responds to nicotine from cigarettes and how you feel when you eat food.

pasquala said:
Legalize it. Tax it. Put a legal age limit on the sale of it. Let it only be sold in tabacco stores an liquior stores. Make sure that it is kept under lock and key.
this will not work.
marijuana is too easy to cultivate.

the only thing legalizing marijuana will do is increase the potency.

Athelwulf said:
Is tobacco not easy to cultivate? Just curious.
don't know, i never tried to cultivate it.
but i have worked with it.
in doing so i have had the chance to sample the wares.
unproccessed tobacco is some nasty tasting stuff.

Back