Legalizing Marijuana: Why Should It Be Done...

tablariddim said:
Not everyone wants to get as high as the sky or to blow their minds to kingdom come.
what about the ones who do?
this is one area where marijuana does not do the job of a national drug.

People who want to get high should be able to, and the rest of the population shouldn't have to pay for it.

Do you know how much we pay for law enforcement in the drug area alone? Not to mention additional violence, prison overcrowding, etc.?

Legal dope = freedom from dope smokers.

TruthSeeker said:
SF is always hypocritical...

That's stupid. Alcohol and cigarretes, which are way worse, are legalized while MJ is not.
They are not way worse.
And if you are stupid because you have yet to sate a point. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, and MJ is not. No shit. State the obvious, but make no point.

leopold99 said:
okay fraggle lets take a scenario. you buy some weed and some beer to do a test. you roll a joint and you smoke it. after smoking the joint you determine that you aren't high enough so you roll another joint. but to your disappointment when you smoke it you do not get any higher. now for the beer. you guzzle down 2 cans and decide you aren't high enough. with beer the answer is simple, more beer. with weed you have no choice but to search for another drug. no, we have a national drug, it's called alcohol.
Well I'm so happy for you that you've found a test that proves your own point to yourself. Lordy, that must have taken hours to think up. It certainly would not work for me, my wife, or a lot of other people we hang out with. After one beer I feel just a little off my game. After two I don't have anything approaching a pleasant "high", but I am ruder, sloppier, and stupider, and it really bothers me. About an hour later I start to come down, and I have a massive headache. A couple of hours later I'm sober enough, but I feel crappy for the way I treated everybody. And I'm really sleepy and my head is killing me, so I have to take the most dangerous drug in the world for me, which is caffeine, in order to drive home more or less safely. Then when I get home I'm too wired to sleep, and in a bad mood from the caffeine really regretting the whole evening, and my headache has only subsided to the point of being bearable. I can't smoke anything because of my asthma, but by now I'm sure envying the people who can fire up the world's best hangover remedy--or who can just wait until the next morning to have the hangover at all.

Ya know, I don't mind us having a "national anthem." And I rather enjoy the irony that our "national food" seems to be pizza. And I'm not a sports fan but I'm glad our "national pastime" is baseball rather than one of those other sports that cause deadly riots like soccer.

But none of those things have become legislated morality. We can sing "La Marseillaise" or even "Deutschland Uber Alles" without fear of arrest. We can eat hamburgers and sushi. We can even watch soccer games as long as we don't kill each other afterward.

But a national drug??? With draconian penalties for people who have a bad reaction to it or simply want to take something else?

Yes, I've met people who say they don't feel any effect from marijuana, or that it's a purely negative one like paranoia, voracious appetite, or loss of sexual discretion. If those people want to drink booze, fine. In fact if anybody wants to drink booze, that's fine. But why should there not be an alternative for people who have a bad reaction to booze, or who simply have a much more positive reaction to another drug?

Alcohol is far worse than marijuana--for most people--in terms of degradation of motor control and lapse in judgment. It's the national reference standard for loosening up sexual inhibiitons. And the fact that it not only does not induce paranoia but actually makes people feel confident and invulnerable is not a good thing! It's what makes drunk driving both so common and so dangerous.

Everybody is different, so people must be free to try to make the best choices for themselves. The government is no more qualified to pick the best drug for me than it is to make any other important personal choice, like what to major in, what church to go to if any, or what race or gender of people I can marry.

cool skill said:
They are not way worse.
And if you are stupid because you have yet to sate a point. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, and MJ is not. No shit. State the obvious, but make no point.
Did you read anything that the thread started said? :rolleyes:

Wake up! :eek:

Fraggle Rocker said:
And I'm not a sports fan but I'm glad our "national pastime" is baseball rather than one of those other sports that cause deadly riots like soccer.
It's not sports that causes riots- it's people.

Anyways... Fraggle says almost all the right things... :D

Plan:

1. Kill all morons.
2. Legalize all drugs.

Bet drugs aren't a problem.

Eugenics solves all!

Back