sciforum seti crunchers

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Just started using it. Pretty intresting. Can someone explain roughly what in the hell Im looking at?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

I think its hundreds and thousands of computers crunching data gathered from various radio telescopes around the world and filtering out any possible signals that may appear to have been emited either deliberatly or accidentally by another sentiant being. I think that they are interested in some " special" frequencys that intelligent life would in their opinion be the most likely to transmit on. I think thats about it in a nutshell.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

Sorry should of read your question more carefully, what your looking at is the data that your computer is crunching for SETI at that time. the box at the top tells you which bit of the universe you are number crunching. What the rest is - i have'nt a clue, but it looks cool.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. myazuid Registered Member

I'm trying to start crunching. I used to do it, but I'm having a problem. With the official client, when i run the installer, it says:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Close Ignore

Which is upsetting to say the least.
    I have tried also using the CLI version, recommended by wet1. But when trying to log in using that I enter all my information into the prompts and then it says No such file or directory when trying to connect. "Can't connect to server" and returns to the beginning.

Any ideas on how to get either to work?

thanks

8. myazuid Registered Member

ah yeh sorry and I am running Win XP, and I have downloaded the correct version (in regards to the official client)

I have also btw, tried compatibility settings, in case anyone was thinkin a takin that route.

9. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Just joined. As I'm doing it anyway, I thought I might as well add a bit more sense of purpose by joining the group.

Everyone elses CPU time per unit is like 10 hours... I don't get why because mine is like 3 hours 30 minutes.

10. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

your not looking at anything really, just visual representations of data being "crunched", best thing is not to try and interpret it, just leave it crunching away in the back ground and have your settings on automatic to allow SETI to access the net anytime it likes, then forget it. Mine is something like 7337 hours to date.

11. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Let us know if you see something like the 'WOW' Signal on your computer screen. We might start getting excited then.

Novacane

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

7337 hours equals 305.7 days that's long

13. T Rasa Registered Member

14. kmguru Staff Member

I think, until the new radio telescope is operational or the next set of kilometer RT are cranking....do not expect much results....

15. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

That was oh so long ago. I removed seti from my pc a while back. I have 1gb ram and seti was filling me up stopping other programs from functioning proplery, took it out and everything went "back to normal". This was shortly after they changed to the "new" program biong or something or other.

The original program did not interfer with my pc at all, even in those days of steam driven number cruching.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Can somebody here enlighten me again why do we presume aliens might be using radio technology for interstellar communication?

17. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Those of us who recall Star Trek film in which Enterprise encounters voyager on its way "home" will know that they found its transmissions in an "olde radio frequency" that went out before the founding of the Federation. In fact they would have missed it altogether if it hadn't been for a certain Vulcan with inquisitive ways.

What would replace radio, be instead of radio? Light is the nearest to "quick" at 186+kps. Even the Federation need rebro stations dotted across the known universe to be able to speak to each other.

I think we are listening for exactly what WE are sending out, filling the void with, entertainment comms, not necessarily voice to voice comms. In the film "Contact" Jodie Foster finds the rebroadcast 1936 Olympic Games broadcast with hidden mathematical equations buried inside the "rebro" - the aliens used our own technology to "come back" on.

18. orcot Valued Senior Member

They proberly wouldn't use radio signals even radio signals between earth and the moon would be stretching the limit if your planning on direct and large transmissions, I believe their more hoping for leaks like red devil says

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Are there any stats one the number of people running this thing at home?

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

If some aliens get found on my computer time, can I name them or something?

21. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

NicK - yes, on the SETI site

GeoffP - There is something along those lines on the SETI site, or were.

22. draqon Banned Banned

23. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I am now on a much bigger pc with 3GB ram, I may retry downloading SETI again.