Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Dune

Votes: 50 7.8%
  • Stargate

Votes: 36 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure it does - just bump up the level a bit and there you go. Hell, if you have to, jump straight to lvl 10 or so and start vaporizing large sections of material at once, armor and battle droids included.

Provived of course level ten works against the materials in question. We have only dialog to go on, not any visuals. Besidesif a hand phaser can drill through rock so effectively why are phaser drill used to Dig the Voyage out that one moon they got stuck in? Would a hand phaser or ship phasers do?

Are you kidding? You are assiging black hole level power to the shields of ST. That's insane and against everything in canon. Especially since canon scene refute that very idea.

If the shields were Black Hole level power the following would be true.

When Shields are raised you would not be able to see the ship, only a black void.
When the shields are raised everything nearby would be sucked into the shields.
Even Phaser, Disruptors, Polaron' and Photon Torpedoes would be affect same as the rest

What he means i think is that it is powared by a blakc hole, ie, the Romulans use an artificial quantum singularity to power their ship.

No offense, but what you are saying is like saying that any electricity that coems out of a nuclear power plant would be radioactive just because it was created using nuclear power.

Also I was wondering, on a game like crysis there are these aliens and one of their heavy weapons is a gun that fires and when the round hits the target it forms a blakc hole that lasts around a minute. In theory, couldnt a round that uses a black hole be incredible?

One thought is the idea of using it as an armor penetrater, having a small black hole that you fire incredibly fast and when it hits enemy shields because of its small size incredible density and time distortion it could argueably penetrate most forms of shielding out there. And if it hits the ship's hull, than theyre really screwed.

This is just a cool idea for an awesome scifi gun, what do you guys think?

True they have been seen to destroy not vaporize entire people. An that is ol style phasers. TNG and beyond haven;t shown the destruction... However it also shows the phaser be stopped dead cold by the flimsiest of barriers with little effect to the barrier.

Vaporize means they were converted to a gaseous form, usually by heat.

Fine, they were atomized, and yes, we HAVE seen that in TNG.

TNG: "The Vengeance Factor"
Star Trek: First Contact

both have examples of that

Did you even bother reading it? Did you see where you made to gigantic mathematical error? Come on read through again and this time slowly.

I did, and I don't believe you understood the point of what I said.

But it seems the Kill setting and even the "fry his ass" setting is stopped by anything thicker than Tinfoil.

And yet the standard level 16 setting on a type 2 phaser can be used to vaporize tunnels through rock, large enough to crawl through. (TNG: "Chain of Command, Part I") The level 16 wide-field setting can easily destroy half of a large building with a single shot. (TNG: "Frame of Mind")

Cutting settings can be used to slice off segments of a steelplast wall, (TNG: "Too Short a Season") a standard starfleet corridor wall (TOS: "The Naked Time") or even to slice off body parts. (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)

Provived of course level ten works against the materials in question. We have only dialog to go on, not any visuals. Besidesif a hand phaser can drill through rock so effectively why are phaser drill used to Dig the Voyage out that one moon they got stuck in? Would a hand phaser or ship phasers do?

They stated in the episode they couldn't drill their way out because the asteroid was too unstable.

Power output of Galaxy Class Starship thanks to Data in True Q: 12 Billion gigwatts

Amanda: "It's hard to imagine how much energy is being harnessed in there."
Data : "Imagination is not necessary; the scale is readily quantifiable. We are presently generating 12.75 billion gigawatts per . . . "

Exact quote from the scene... per what? Putting up a time unit is odd (watts per second? That'd be given in kilowatt hours then, or joules, as joules is a measure of watts per second... perhaps he meant per unit of fuel consumed? Who knows, we sure as hell don't

Actually that is script. I own that episode on video and final cut is:

Data : "Imagination is not necessary; the scale is readily quantifiable. We are presently generating 12.75 billion gigawatts."

In scientific terms if a measure of time is not given with Watts the assumption is that it is per second. Look at your light bulb I am sure it only says 60, 75 or 100 Watts not Watts per second.

Can I just point out that Data is not equivalent to a power generation stamp like those on a light bulb. "We are presently generating 12.75 b GW" does not indicated any lower or upper limit of power generation; it merely indicates that the active systems on the Enterprise required 12.75 b GW of sustained power at the time of his quote.

Fine, they were atomized, and yes, we HAVE seen that in TNG.

TNG: "The Vengeance Factor"
Star Trek: First Contact

both have examples of that

True, but this is more due to the odd effect of the phaser weapon and seems limited to organic m,aterials or at much higher power setting light metals.

I did, and I don't believe you understood the point of what I said.

There is a reason I didn;t understand. You said 5 million gigawatts was more than 12.75 billion gigwatts. You even went on to somehow try to explain how that works, much to your chagrin in the end. You gave me more ammunition in that one response than you have in anything else.

And yet the standard level 16 setting on a type 2 phaser can be used to vaporize tunnels through rock, large enough to crawl through. (TNG: "Chain of Command, Part I") The level 16 wide-field setting can easily destroy half of a large building with a single shot. (TNG: "Frame of Mind")

We have seen the first, but then again rock is a completely different thing from metal or energy ablative plastics. As for the second we have only Riker's word and no visual, and since he is a master bluffer.....

True, but this is more due to the odd effect of the phaser weapon and seems limited to organic m,aterials or at much higher power setting light metals.

Uh... it would take more energy to atomize rock than metal mate.

We have seen the first, but then again rock is a completely different thing from metal or energy ablative plastics. As for the second we have only Riker's word and no visual, and since he is a master bluffer.....

Well, considering a Type 1 phaser on overload could easily take out a large chunk of a corridor in a GCS + the areas surrounding it... lol. I don't think he was bluffing, and it is up to you to prove he was.

There is a reason I didn;t understand. You said 5 million gigawatts was more than 12.75 billion gigwatts. You even went on to somehow try to explain how that works, much to your chagrin in the end. You gave me more ammunition in that one response than you have in anything else.

Not really - re-read it and see if you understand yet.

If not, I guess I'll have to explain :shrug:

Uh... it would take more energy to atomize rock than metal mate.

Actually that would depend on the rocks in question, breaking molecular bonds is pretty energy intensive, sometimes in needing energy (Endothermic) and in releasing energy (exothermic)

Well, considering a Type 1 phaser on overload could easily take out a large chunk of a corridor in a GCS + the areas surrounding it... lol. I don't think he was bluffing, and it is up to you to prove he was.

Yet later one being sett off in Ten Forward did squat (albeit it was phased, it still hould have cooked Geordi and Ro Laren.)

Not really - re-read it and see if you understand yet.

If not, I guess I'll have to explain :shrug:

Yeah , go head explain to all of us how you think 5 million gigawats is somehow more than 12.75 billion gigwats. . Sure, go right ahead.

You are so stuck on arguing with me that you don't realize you simply made an error.

Sure they are, and why not? A TriCorder in close range is just as accurate as a starship scanner... easier to scramble (if you're expecting it), but I highly doubt SW would know what kind of signals to even attempt to scramble to block Trek comms and sensors.

first off, sorry for being late on reply, work's been hell lately :mad:

i know that tricorders can be used this way and it is precisely the reason why i mentioned them. but you do realize that people "lighting" the targets this way are exposing them selves to attack. so it is doable but often risky. especially if there is shooting already going on around with more then light arms.

True, but then again, a SSD, ISD, or VSD is hardly "tactically" useful in atmospheric flight... it can land, it can fire from orbit, whoop de doo, so can trek Starships. lol.

nor did i say ISDs can fight at their equivalent of 1/4 impulse (which btw isn't equivalent to 1/4 light speed as many trek dudes like to think). what i said is that at 1/4 impulse most fed vessels would suffer structural or thermal (more likely) damage and most are not designed to land eigther.

Yes, but the MACO's have been seen on screen (more in ENT than any other series) and Voyager had Elite Force which was pretty damned effective as well. You have to figure, if a lone starship in the middle of nowhere with no resupply and limited resources can train a bunch of random joe-schmoes up to be an elite group capable of military and para-military operations... then the federation's actual military training procedures should probably be at LEAST on par with that.

yes, but no tanks, APCs or drop-ships (or equivalents of all these). the only mechanisation witnised again and again is air power. not even heavy "machine guns" or AT guns. troops yes, mechs no, that was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back