Why doesn't weed get me high anymore?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oniw17, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Try acid.

After you've experienced acid - and I really mean experienced; it's not just about having done it once, it's about being on the bus* - you will understand why your reaction to pot has changed. I promise.

*This is a state you can only know you've attained once you attain it. You will think other stops along the way are the destination, but then you will get it one day.

Tiassa, you know what I'm sayin?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the necromancy

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Are you saying that taking acid is like being on a bus?
    Sitting on a swaying rumbling crate, in a noxious diesel fug, surrounded by badly dressed old people, is certainly an alternative reality.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

maybe its time for bigger toys

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yep. It's bigger toy time.
    Try some Meth.
    This gal did, and she's never looked back.

9. mwilde Registered Member

ok here is why u don't get high any more .. when u smoke u brain releases all the endorphins that u have stored, endorphins are the chemical to make u feel happy... every time you smoke all of them are release and then your body has to remake all of the endorphins which means the more you smoke the less time your body has to make more.... which in turn mean that less endorphins every time you smoke , making you have a less intense high... so if u stop smoking for awhile your body will go back to making a regular mount of endorphins and u should get something close to how u got when u first started smoking

10. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

probably HAARP

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Smoking pot releases seratonin, which makes you feel happy. Your body makes seratonin as it does hundreds of other compounds and your body needs time to make more of it.

If you're not getting the same high from the same dope, then plainy- you're smoking too much weed. You got to smoke weed over time... you need time for your body to build a reserve of seratonin.

The same applies to all drugs- legal and not.

Stop smoking so much.

12. jmpet Valued Senior Member

BTW- this is what they mean when they say pot is a gateway drug. Because since you're not getting as high, your next step is to move on to coke, heroin, mescaline or crack. You're on a slippery slope, my friend. Pot is the perfect drug- and it has its limits, as all things should have.

13. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I always thought it was a 'gateway drug' (propaganda word) because the propaganda is so out of line with reality, that a hit or two of pot makes you think "hey I guess drugs really aren't that bad."

I mean alcoholism is more of a slippery slope than trying dope. Why don't you call beer a gateway drug?

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

This could just be normal variation in the weed you've been smoking. Different strains have different effects, sometimes markedly, and what you're describing sounds a lot like the normal, expected differences between a heady indica and a light sativa. Are you sure you aren't just getting different strains lately?

Also, not sure where you live, but at $40 an eighth you might be getting mid-grade, whereas your brain could be ready for some high octane.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There's another thread on marijuana on one of the other boards. Someone linked to a study showing that the chemistry of the plant has changed since the shit-for-brains government started really cracking down on it. When an illegal commodity is bulky and smelly, it's in the best interests of everyone in the supply chain to make it stronger so nobody needs to carry as large a quantity of it.

So they've managed to increase the concentration of THC, but in the process they've reduced the concentration of one of the other chemicals that has a different effect. In most people it apparently actually combats the bad side effects that a small minority of people experience, like schizophrenia. But since the pharmacology of illegal drugs isn't studied very avidly, and since most of the studies are financed or the results are otherwise perturbed by the shit-for-brains government, there's not a lot of information on how any two psychoactive chemicals work together.

It's quite possible that this poster is one of the subset of smokers who needs the second chemical to complement the effect of the THC.

As for being a gateway drug, people's reactions to those other drugs differ as much as they do to pot. The three most popular drugs--alcohol, caffeine and nicotine--affect very nearly 100% of people in very nearly the same identical way. So we unconsciously assume that all drugs are just like that. They most emphatically are not!

I've never tried heroin, but I've had prescriptions for plenty of legal opiates, and they do absolutely nothing for me. They don't kill the pain as well as aspirin and the buzz is downright annoying. I can't imagine taking enough of that stuff to become addicted. I've made a lot of my friends happy with my nearly full bottles of leftovers.

As for cocaine, I thought it was really fun until I found out they were cutting it with amphetamine. I tried some pure stuff and it might as well have been talcum powder. I was really pissed off when I calculated how much I had been paying for plain old speed.

Acid, mushrooms, same thing. Fortunately I've found one legal drug that gets me off, although if I'm not careful I get addicted and crazy, and one... well we won't talk about that one.

16. jakke Registered Member

I just wana get high

for the past month or so I've been getting all my shit from my dads farm, at first I didn't really care for the taste but it still got me stoned and now ill get a little buzz as I'm smoking it and then just feel tired after. I added some Amsterdam grade to the mix a few days ago as well, smoked like 4 blunts and that had nearly no additional affect on me. My dad grows all the same strain but I've been thinking about adding some stronger seeds to his stash, do you think this would benefit me or do you have any other suggestions?

17. jakke Registered Member

but I like it

18. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

the official pot that is "legalized" is a much less potent plant, that is why it was legalized by officials. They are tricking people into buying low quality marijuana, so people are less addicted.

19. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Why not try another dope dealer who might have better stuff.

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

The delta - 9 tetrahydrocannibinol (THC) is what gets you high but it alone can induce paranoia and doesn't last very long. The cannabidiol (CBD) content lowers the paranoia risk and extends the high for a longer period. The cannabinol (CBN) content makes you hungry and sleepy AKA "couchlock". The terpenes - aromatic floral scents - are said to moderate the experience in subtle ways as well. In all there are about 66 different cannabinoids in cannabis, many of which we do not know their effect, if any, on the 'stoned' experience. The exact proportions of these chemicals is what gives each strain its own individual stone characteristics.

There are cannabinoid receptors all over the body and problems with those can effect your life quality substantially. For an example, the 'amplifier neurons' within your spinal cord moderate pain signals being sent to the brain have CB 2 receptors. If a pain signal goes through a spinal neuron moderator cell the pain signal is modified such that the brains response to that signal is appropriate. If there is a dearth of endocannabinoids (like anandamine) in the body, the CB 2 receptors are left unengaged. This can lead to a pain signal being passed on to the brain undampened. The result is pain signals that are way out of proportion to the actual injury or damage. Chronically high levels of serious pain can then result, or such conditions as hyperalgesia - a serious itching sensation in areas of the skin that leads to uncontrolled scratching, bleeding and scabbing of the effected areas.

Another example is the CB receptors in the paraquaductal grey region of the brain. If those are insufficiently engaged, pain signals in the brain begin to resonate (sorta like an organic Helmholtz resonance in a solid under stimulation). As the resonance builds it becomes what is known as a migraine headache with nausea. Folks that suffer from this condition can often avoid the nausea component and moderate the headache component by consuming cannabis. That is the prescription for headaches that are available in MMJ (medical marijuana) states/countries.

Often, 'medicinal strains' of cannabis have a lot of CBD and little THC, so they aren't real good for getting stoned but are real good at moderating pain.

As for potency:

The US government grows pot in an old mine in Missouri, has been for many years. That pot has a THC content of around 6% at the very best - what most stoners would term "schwag" or "dirt" weed. That weed is the standard that all other cannabis is measured against. That is why all of the stories abound about contemporary cannabis being so very much stronger than it used to be. It is also so much hooey. The top strains available on the international market have a THC content of around 22% - 25%, about what was par for the top strains of yesteryear as well.

Many years ago nobody knew that just ripe - NOT overripe - female cannabis flowers were the most potent part of the plant or that the male plants had very little of the active ingredients. Mexican farmers just cut down the whole field, let it dry in the sun, baled it up and sold it bugs and all. That is what is known as 'Mexi brick' weed. It is still the bottom level product on the street, in most US states is goes for about $200/ounce. Top notch product is grown from "strain" seeds in very controlled conditions and only the just ripe flowers from the female plants are sold, the rest is composted or discarded. That is the $850/ounce stuff.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Not sure where you live, but it sounds like you are getting ripped off badly if that's what you're paying.

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Uh....in the greater Detroit area the highest priced weed is Canadian Prime bud and that goes for about $750/ounce.

I do not buy weed myself at this time, but I am sure that I get ripped off at the grocery store and gas station every week regardless. I live in Detroit, as I have made real clear here, bro. Cannabis is one of my study areas. While I claim no great expertise, I am very much more educated on this topic than most here.

I have deeply personal reasons for that.

I will elabourate as needed. Just lemme know, eh?

23. thoughtcriminal51 Registered Member

yeah....what's up with that?

I can remember first time stoned songs....
    Sunshine of Your Love....Cream
    Time Has Come Today....Chambers Brothers
    Hurdy Gurdy Man....Donovan

That's a long time ago
    get dime of weed and load into cheap corncob pipe....Like MacArthur smoked
    and it was....
    this must be halu halu cina cina shun shun shun shun

get accustomed to effects over the years....
    the law of diminishing returns....
    get pretty good buzz when I smoke after not smoking for day or two....

I live in THC-attle

Hempfest starts today

Every summer at Hempfest, the largest marijuana-legalization rally in the world, Herculean stoners are called to perform incredible public feats: conversing with strangers, doing math, noticing stuff, and resisting delicious foods. They prove that true stoner athletes can conquer the overwhelming urge to just sit. In place. For hours.
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-stoner-olympics/Content?oid=14460967

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.