Work around for log in issues

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by wegs, May 9, 2023.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

There seems to be a glitch when logging in using my phone; it doesn’t always allow me to log in after the first try, and instead, it just refreshes the page. Here’s a work around if you’re experiencing the same using your phone, that I’ve tried and it works. Enter in your username and password as you normally would, but check the box “stay logged in,” then tap “log in.”

It works every time now, and you don’t have to stay logged in by the way; just log out when you want, and remember to check the box each time you go to log in.

C C likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

I guess I've encountered a version of this problem after all. Instead of refreshing the page, the log-in session will only last a minute or less before losing its cookie. That's why at some point in the past I also started checking the box every time (with some exceptions, when I only need a few seconds to check on whatever).

wegs likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Has it happened to you using your laptop to log in here? It’s happened for me that way too, but not as frequently.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Yes, especially since there are office desktops, or a personal laptop I'm dragging along anyway. When it comes to any lengthy text in forums, prefer a regular computer to mobile devices.
    _

wegs likes this.
  8. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Well, now I'm getting logged out abruptly in random and unpredictable ways even when I do click the box. As if the system read this thread and adjusted its mischief accordingly.

wegs likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

LOL!!

AI. It’s (or they’re?) watching!!

10. geordief Valued Senior Member

That "stay logged in" hasn't been working for me for some time. It is erratic and when it does work it only lasts an hour or so.

There is also a thing (not sure if is this site) where you just fill in the two fields and it logs you in without you needing to click on the login box at all.

I have faith in my digital superiors.

wegs likes this.
  11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

That part has to do↗ with what other browser windows or tabs you have open.

The rest is a software issue the Company is currently either repairing or simply tinkering with.

Sorry, I don't have an actual memo from above. If you watch closely when things get most silly, you can very nearly tell what is going on. But they're tinkering with something, and part of the problem that makes it harder to log back in seemingly has to do with cookies, and apparently cookies that are not from Sciforums.

Anyway, as near as I can tell, the circumstance will persist for the time being.

wegs likes this.
  12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I was just having big trouble logging in with my laptop. I found myself logged out and would go to the login page, enter my user-name and password, click the 'remember me' box and submit. And it immediately returned me to the log-in page over and over without logging me in.

I eventually found by trial and error that if I clicked the 'Home' link on the top left of the page, that page remembered me and my cookies and I was all logged in!

wegs likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It’s not a consistent glitch, I’ve noticed. I just logged in …no problem, on my phone without having to check the box “stay logged in.” It made me smile.

It’s the little things…

14. Guestfornow Registered Member

I've noticed this problem too. After logging in and seeing I wasn't, I tried refreshing the page, no joy so I went to the home page and behold! I was logged in after all.

Actually I've done this a handful of times and it doesn't always work so I try clicking the stay logged in box, which does seem to do it.

wegs likes this.
  15. geordief Valued Senior Member

Ah,it didn't work for me (on my smartphone-seems to be less of a problem on the PC)

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Welp. It is getting worse and worse by the day for me. Almost impossible to get in on my lappie, and completely impossible to get it all on my phone.

Problem remains even after a complete reboot. So, no, not about tabs.

If this persists, I suspect I'm just gonna faaaade away like Marty McFly.

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmm...even when you check the ''stay logged in'' box?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. I always check it.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Not sure it helps much, but I don't have any of these problems using Apple iPad and MacBook, on Safari.

wegs likes this.
  21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Correction: for the first time this am (~0730 BST) I could not log in on the iPad. Accepted my ID and password, but failed to change my status to logged in. Just tried again (0950BST) and still won't log me in, on the iPad. No problem, so far, on the MacBook that I am using to type this.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmm, interesting. Do you need to check the box “stay logged in” or can you log in without the need to do that?

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I don’t do that.

BUT I have tried clearing my browser ( Safari) on the iPad and now I can log in. We’ll see how long that lasts….

wegs likes this.