Any atheists here who were once believers?

As a recently 'promoted' atheist, or to say it better, a skeptic, I could add some thoughts to your initial themes [questions] to this thread.

I come from a family where the rational mind and critical thinking were not the best tool for dealing with life problems. Family formed by two individuals without any academical degree, coming from a small villages, without any single book read in their life. I was really not thought how to deal with the challenges of life, and my logic was quite poor, so whenever I met with problems in life I reacted in irrational way, or restrained my self from reaction due to some irrational fear of moral justice also poorly understood or not understood at all [huge subject, don't want to enter it here].

In my late teen years I started to awake from this irrational state but the growth was really slow. In this searching for understanding, filled with moral guilt and with a lot of questions about life unanswered [also with a bit of fear] I entered the world of religion [Christian]. I became very enthusiastic about it, started to read the bible and the writings of the christian church fathers. At first I found many answers to my questions about life, morality, etc., [I guess it was mere awakening of my reasoning powers that really gave me the satisfaction, I remember that I was most happy and fulfilled when I actually read] but then after some years spent in the church I started to doubt some deeply irrational questions inside the dogma like the virgin birth concept, the idea of the trinity, and many other such things contradictory to the rational mind. The thing is that I needed quite a few years to actually consciously accept those doubts. I know I struggled I lot because of these doubts and I was not allowing my self to express them out aloud for some reason. I guess I was afraid.

I don't believe that religion cures the fear, I think it strengthens it even more. Most of the people I have met in my years of living actively in the church were people who were afraid, people who were walking with their heads staring at the ground [not feeling worthy of walking on this earth], people with very low self-esteem and with limited critical thinking, at least applied. I witnessed all these people, something in me knew that this was not right but I was not allowed to 'judge other people' [sounds familiar?]. So I kept these doubts for my self, actually not even for my conscious self, I was not even allowed to think these thoughts because god would hear them if not someone else.

Little by little I was pealing the onion of my religious shelf, and I finally pealed it off of me.
However, I think I still bring with me inhibitions that are result of this religious schooling. For example, till recently I didn't allow my self to acknowledge the fact that some woman I look at has very nice a**. I was repressing my feelings.

Now when I am thinking critically, sceptically, and let's say, scientifically, I feel like 'awakened' man, bright with a sense of freedom to use my own mind. This gives me joy, joy that I was finally able to get off of me the chains of the religion and religious indoctrination.

I remember you [wegs] replied on one of my posts about astrology. Astrology was kind of bridging moment between religion and skepticism for me. I do think that religion and astrology have many things in common, especially in the mythology part, predestination, and such things. I do not take none of these seriously anymore.

If you believed in God, and come away saying God doesn't exist, then you never believed in God in the first place. An atheist is a person who does not believe in God, meaning he/she can still believe God exists but choose not to believe in Him.

jan.

I used to believe in Santa Claus. I really believed in him. I went to bed early on Christmas eve as I was told that he might pass over our house if he saw lights on.

Now, I realize that there is no Santa Claus.

Saying that an atheist may believe in God but just choose not to follow him is not what is going on. How many people do you think believe that God created the universe but somehow they just aren't impressed enough with that to truly believe in him?

An atheist pictures a world where, as a matter of fact, there is no God and then compares it to this world and sees that there is no difference between those two worlds.

Huzzah!!!

Congratulations Wegs!

Thank you!! :D

Congratulations Wegs!

Thank you, also! :)

Wow tripple wow. That is good news isn't it. To come out of your closet and whack us with this I was surprised, by what you've said, for I had asked about things and never had a answer before. I feel really happy knowing you too have kids and that they are happy. Wow, thanks for the good news. For they will bring you joy.

They have brought me the most joy in my whole life, truly. When you and I were talking, I wanted to share things with you, just everyday things...but, after going through such a horrible relationship as it was with that guy, I really was quite guarded. I didn't want information coming out on here, I didn't know you well to be able to trust you...so, I kept guarded. I didn't want that man finding me. (he moved out of state but I would get threatening emails a lot) You know, I used to wonder why women stay with abusive men. Now, I know why. It is out of fear. Fear of them, but fear of going it alone, because you were under someone's thumb for so long. The man I was married to, is a kind man, and to answer your question, I fucked up that entire marriage. I'm far from perfect. There was no infidelity or anything, but I got married very very young, and I was just a selfish person.

But, I'm a GREAT mother. That, is one thing I can say. :)

Do you look after them wegs?

They live with me. But, their dad sees them a lot.

OK, now I don't know what the prophecy means

Oh my gosh, you and this crazy prophecy. lol!! Robittybob, there is someone out there for you. It just isn't me. It was never me.

so is it your Honeymoon trip then?

are you offering? lol I'm kidding.

When is the big day?

I think we may elope, and invite close friends to a party ...I'm not into all that bs. This is my bf's first marriage. He's um...younger than me. I look a lot younger than I am. I still get carded. ;)

So are you taking the blame for the first one failing?

Yes. It was 100% me. My dad dying made me not trust love. Or men. This is why I have huge issues about the 'after life.' Because all my life, people said my dad was in a better place...but, I never believed in this 'better place.' It's really his death, more than my friend who recently died, that caused me to have all the hang ups I've had, over God.

Little miss perfect admitting an error! What is that about?

lol Oh, I'm far from perfect, darlin.' ;)

On another note, I would look at stories on here about people getting divorced, and talking about kids...and I wanted to share. My boyfriend told me, just share your story. I'm glad I did, because it helps you to see who I really am, what I've really been through, and why I have traveled this road, as it relates to changing my spiritual beliefs.

What a dag!
May the Lord Bless you with Love.
I loved you too. They say loved and lost, is better than never loved at all.

Thank you. ((Hugs))

Thank you...really. (I don't agree with that saying by the way...lol...dumbest saying ever. Whoever thought it up never loved anyone...)

Dude!

You know how sometimes it is best to just say nothing at all?

I think now would have been one of those times for you.

:roflmao:

People often wonder why if you're not religious that you are concerned about those who are. Here is an example that comes up all the time.

I was looking at a dating site and this person had a master's degree in some area related to medicine. There are many questions that you can answer so that people get a sense of who you are.

The person said that Creationism should be taught along with Evolution in the schools so that students could hear both sides.

This is a person with a master's degree in the medical sciences! There aren't two sides to Evolution. All the evidence is for Evolution. There is no evidence for Creationism. As Dawkins says, "Should we teach both sides of reproduction...modern reproductions theory and the Stork theory?"".

This person also answered a question by saying that she thinks the Earth is larger than the Sun! The Sun's diameter is approximately 109 times larger than that of the Earth's diameter.

She also answered that "wherefore" in "Romeo, Romeo, Wherefore art thou" means "Where". Most people think that but it actually means "Why". However, in the comments section she writes "How hard is that to figure out". So, she is "confident" in her ignorance :)

This is what religion has done for us. It is "dumbing down" education and making people not care and not value reality. Whatever one thinks, is "reality".

What was the prophecy wegs? - it was just that you'd travel to NZ and come and see me. You could be married and still do that. I would love to meet you one day, you and your husband of course. For you wanted to come to NZ and it is looking a picture this time of the year. A wedding present maybe.

I've already defined it. Nobody here buys your BS, so there's no use pretending.
You could have defined it just now, see, like this.
ma·te·ri·al
məˈti(ə)rēəl/
noun
noun: material; plural noun: materials

the matter from which a thing is or can be made.
"goats can eat more or less any plant material"
synonyms: matter, substance, medium More
"the decomposition of organic material"
things needed for an activity.
"cleaning materials"
synonyms: constituent, raw material, element, component More
"the materials for a new building"
things, items, articles, necessaries
"cleaning materials"
a person of a specified quality or suitability.
"he's not really Olympic material"
facts, information, or ideas for use in creating a book or other work.
"there is much good material here for priests to use in sermons"
synonyms: information, data, facts, facts and figures, statistics, evidence, details, particulars, background, notes; More

That took about 10 seconds to copy a quote from Google. That proves you are not sincere about this discussion. It proves you are unwilling to have a conversation. It proves you are trolling.

No you didn't. You made a bunch of claims based on an ignorance of physics. You don't even know what a wave-function is. The concept of spacetime is totally foreign to you. You just throw words against the wall and hope they stick.

God hasn't claimed anything. People have made claims on his behalf. Or her behalf. Or their behalf. You believes can't even get the amount, name or gender of gods right.
You're not serious, you're just trolling.

As a recently 'promoted' atheist, or to say it better, a skeptic, I could add some thoughts to your initial themes [questions] to this thread.

I come from a family where the rational mind and critical thinking were not the best tool for dealing with life problems. Family formed by two individuals without any academical degree, coming from a small villages, without any single book read in their life. I was really not thought how to deal with the challenges of life, and my logic was quite poor, so whenever I met with problems in life I reacted in irrational way, or restrained my self from reaction due to some irrational fear of moral justice also poorly understood or not understood at all [huge subject, don't want to enter it here].

In my late teen years I started to awake from this irrational state but the growth was really slow. In this searching for understanding, filled with moral guilt and with a lot of questions about life unanswered [also with a bit of fear] I entered the world of religion [Christian]. I became very enthusiastic about it, started to read the bible and the writings of the christian church fathers. At first I found many answers to my questions about life, morality, etc., [I guess it was mere awakening of my reasoning powers that really gave me the satisfaction, I remember that I was most happy and fulfilled when I actually read] but then after some years spent in the church I started to doubt some deeply irrational questions inside the dogma like the virgin birth concept, the idea of the trinity, and many other such things contradictory to the rational mind. The thing is that I needed quite a few years to actually consciously accept those doubts. I know I struggled I lot because of these doubts and I was not allowing my self to express them out aloud for some reason. I guess I was afraid.

I don't believe that religion cures the fear, I think it strengthens it even more. Most of the people I have met in my years of living actively in the church were people who were afraid, people who were walking with their heads staring at the ground [not feeling worthy of walking on this earth], people with very low self-esteem and with limited critical thinking, at least applied. I witnessed all these people, something in me knew that this was not right but I was not allowed to 'judge other people' [sounds familiar?]. So I kept these doubts for my self, actually not even for my conscious self, I was not even allowed to think these thoughts because god would hear them if not someone else.

Little by little I was pealing the onion of my religious shelf, and I finally pealed it off of me.
However, I think I still bring with me inhibitions that are result of this religious schooling. For example, till recently I didn't allow my self to acknowledge the fact that some woman I look at has very nice a**. I was repressing my feelings.

Now when I am thinking critically, sceptically, and let's say, scientifically, I feel like 'awakened' man, bright with a sense of freedom to use my own mind. This gives me joy, joy that I was finally able to get off of me the chains of the religion and religious indoctrination.

I remember you [wegs] replied on one of my posts about astrology. Astrology was kind of bridging moment between religion and skepticism for me. I do think that religion and astrology have many things in common, especially in the mythology part, predestination, and such things. I do not take none of these seriously anymore.

Hi Doubter :wave:
Yeah, I saw that astrology thread, and never got into any of that, before. I think you made the right choice by ditching astrology and all of its precepts. It's a long, winding road to get here, isn't it? For every person's road isn't quite the same. I envy my bf to a degree...he has been an atheist all of his life. And he never has a craving to know God. I'm so glad you posted this here...thank you.

I used to believe in Santa Claus. I really believed in him.

I saw my dad one Christmas putting the presents under the tree...so ...the lie was exposed early. :D
I hate the entire concept of Santa, frankly. I had to put on that stupid show with my own kids when they were little...at their dad's urging. :rolleyes: Many a fight over a fictional, fat man...who was taking the credit for me buying the gifts. :mad: Yeah, I'm mad about Santa, you could say. lol

I also don't care for the concept of Santa, because suppose a child is from a very poor home, but is a very good kid. He goes to school and the kids who are brats, get all these gifts ...bragging about how Santa brought this or that...and the poor kid feels bad. I don't like Santa. It's a sick, fucking myth.

I went to bed early on Christmas eve as I was told that he might pass over our house if he saw lights on.

Now, I realize that there is no Santa Claus.

Saying that an atheist may believe in God but just choose not to follow him is not what is going on. How many people do you think believe that God created the universe but somehow they just aren't impressed enough with that to truly believe in him?

An atheist pictures a world where, as a matter of fact, there is no God and then compares it to this world and sees that there is no difference between those two worlds.

Well...comparing Santa to 'a god,' is comparing an apple to a pool table. I mean, not even in the same category. But, I see your point. I think that at the end of the day, I wanted to please my dad by being a faithful Christian all of my life. And I've had rich, beautiful moments in the faith. Especially during the holidays. This holiday season...that won't be happening. I'm a bit melancholy over that thought, but...I can't keep pretending I believe a story that I don't. I appreciate your story here. I think we all can relate, who have chosen similar paths. This doesn't mean I have little respect for people of faith...I just tell people now...as my boyfriend told me a few months ago...Make sure you believe what you believe, for the right reasons.

wegs knows me by now. She knows I'm up front.

you? up front? stating the obvious. lol

I think she wrote that for me. Nuff said at the moment.

I wrote it for me, but I wrote it also...because I was so tired of all the tension between you and me on here. Robittybob, I'm not used to someone telling me they have prophecies about me. Nor is anyone else is here. So, understand...your display of emotion sometimes, can be...um...overwhelming. lol Especially when you are talking to people who don't believe not only in Christianity but in God's existence.

Anyway....I think you wish to find love, just like everyone does. This is as much as I'm wiling to share in an open forum, but at least I can chime in with conversations and just be me. :)

Seriously, what a creep you are.
tonight is a happy night. so smile balerion.

People often wonder why if you're not religious that you are concerned about those who are. Here is an example that comes up all the time.

I was looking at a dating site and this person had a master's degree in some area related to medicine. There are many questions that you can answer so that people get a sense of who you are.

The person said that Creationism should be taught along with Evolution in the schools so that students could hear both sides.

This is a person with a master's degree in the medical sciences! There aren't two sides to Evolution. All the evidence is for Evolution. There is no evidence for Creationism. As Dawkins says, "Should we teach both sides of reproduction...modern reproductions theory and the Stork theory?"".

This person also answered a question by saying that she thinks the Earth is larger than the Sun! The Sun's diameter is approximately 109 times larger than that of the Earth's diameter.

She also answered that "wherefore" in "Romeo, Romeo, Wherefore art thou" means "Where". Most people think that but it actually means "Why". However, in the comments section she writes "How hard is that to figure out". So, she is "confident" in her ignorance

This is what religion has done for us. It is "dumbing down" education and making people not care and not value reality. Whatever one thinks, is "reality".

lol so i take it you did NOT ask her out? :D

relating to public education and religion. I don't believe the two should mix AT ALL. When my kids were younger, I remember them sharing with me how different teachers 'talked down' about religion. I was 'very' religious back then. Or so I thought. I didn't like that the teachers thought it was appropriate to denounce religion, in favor of science or history. So, to me...in order to preserve the sanctity of science and religion equally, it's important to not let them mix at all. Creationism comes from the Bible, period. That's it. It doesn't have any other foundation other than that. So, to weave it in as an alternative to evoluton, is confusing (and wrong) to a student.

I have some good news to share. My boyfriend asked me if I'd marry him, earlier tonight. I said yes. :eek: I've known him for a while, but as friends, even though we have only been dating a few months. When I came to this site, I wanted my ''persona'' to be private. I was married before, and after I divorced, I dated a very abusive man. He made my life very hard and I was always frightened. He was the reason I had lost trust in people...in men. It is the 'missing piece' that I left out of my 'leaving the faith' story.

It was around this time, that my faith wavered. How could God watch me go through what I did? It's been a long, winding road...but, I'm happy now.

I've also never shared that my dad died when I was a kid. My dad was the one who taught me to pray as a little girl. Taught me my faith. And I struggled to stay true to the faith he raised me in, but I just can't anymore. Letting go of my faith, is like letting go of my father, all over again. It's as though he has died all over again.

So...that's my story. I started a thread asking for stories, of why people who believed, left their faith. And I never really shared mine, in its entirety.

So, some of you here think I'm naive. That I look at the world through rose-colored glasses. But, I choose to still see the good, despite the pain I've dealt with, personally.

My kids are teens and are happy for me. I got married very young, in my life.

My bf is moving in this weekend. :) I didn't make a very good wife the first time, I hope I do better this time.

If my sharing this story, helps anyone...then, it's worth it.

Congratulations wegs!!! Hurray!!!!

marriage-2.jpg

What was the prophecy wegs? - it was just that you'd travel to NZ and come and see me. You could be married and still do that. I would love to meet you one day, you and your husband of course. For you wanted to come to NZ and it is looking a picture this time of the year. A wedding present maybe.

really? lol that would be wild.
robittybob, i always thought you had a kind heart. when you are 'normal,' you are great. when you go off on your prophecy/slaying serpents silliness...ugh. no can deal with you. lol so..just be normal. :D

i feel bad for you sometimes. your mother and all. you should try to sort that out, because just like my dad dying...when a parent is abusive, or absent...it can really hurt your life. i say that with the utmost respect. to me, that is where your sadness lies.

Wegs, just for the record, I have respect for those who have faith as well. I grew up in that environment (my dad died at an early age as well, I was 3) and I have several friends who are religious still.

I don't have a lot of respect for the idea (religion) but I do have it for the people.

really? lol that would be wild.
robittybob, i always thought you had a kind heart. when you are 'normal,' you are great. when you go off on your prophecy/slaying serpents silliness...ugh. no can deal with you. lol so..just be normal. :D

i feel bad for you sometimes. your mother and all. you should try to sort that out, because just like my dad dying...when a parent is abusive, or absent...it can really hurt your life. i say that with the utmost respect. to me, that is where your sadness lies.
well one day you can open your PM again and we'll organize the trip then. It's the flight I worry about, it is such a long way. But once that is over, it will be OK.
You can go and talk to my Mum for me.

wegs said:
My bf is moving in this weekend.
OK, be that way, just go ahead and sell your soul to the Devil. :rolleyes:

(I'm trying to stay on topic here while these events in your personal life unfold.)

Don't forget the pre-nuptial agreement. Lucifer will expect you to have one of those before the deal is sealed. Remember, it needs to written in blood.

Halloween's coming up, you can pick up a nice black wedding dress right about now.

Instead of a wedding cake you can have a big cast iron pot with dry ice. Maybe some chocolate rodents floating in a blood red cherry sauce.

Just some thoughts here. Trying to stay on topic and shoot you a few sidewise remarks suitable for an engagement roast.

The maids of honor & groomsmen can all be made up like the cast of Twilight.

The official who commits the unholy act could have you sign a parchment in red ink and then have huge black wings open from behind his back. Some lightening bolts would be good, and then have someone throw the breaker. You can finish it in candle light. Instead of a kiss take a bite from each other's necks.

A pipe organ would be appropriate, playing the standard wedding march--but in in a minor key. Then maybe exit on Bach's Toccata & Fugue for a real send home. You could also have a sacrificial bull that you hoist it up like a pinata, and then swing at it with a Grim Reaper's scythe. It could spew out treats for the kids made in the shapes of internal organs. The groom could act like he was mortally wounded. Or you could do this at the reception if the mortuary where atheists get married has a steep hourly rate.

You could hire some Baptists at random to attend in the congregation (Mennonites if you can find them) without telling them what they are in for. They could gasp and shriek while your family and friends kick back and enjoy.

This could go on. But I did want to acknowledge your post in the spirit of the thread topic. Good luck, but watch your back. People will be sneaking up, trying to sprinkle you with holy water.

Wegs, just for the record, I have respect for those who have faith as well. I grew up in that environment (my dad died at an early age as well, I was 3) and I have several friends who are religious still.

I don't have a lot of respect for the idea (religion) but I do have it for the people.

Aw I'm sorry about your dad. Isn't it hard still? It's a loss you never quite get past.

OK, be that way, just go ahead and sell your soul to the Devil. :rolleyes:

(I'm trying to stay on topic here while these events in your personal life unfold.)

Don't forget the pre-nuptial agreement. Lucifer will expect you to have one of those before the deal is sealed. Remember, it needs to written in blood.

Halloween's coming up, you can pick up a nice black wedding dress right about now.

Instead of a wedding cake you can have a big cast iron pot with dry ice. Maybe some chocolate rodents floating in a blood red cherry sauce.

Just some thoughts here. Trying to stay on topic and shoot you a few sidewise remarks suitable for an engagement roast.

The maids of honor & groomsmen can all be made up like the cast of Twilight.

The official who commits the unholy act could have you sign a parchment in red ink and then have huge black wings open from behind his back. Some lightening bolts would be good, and then have someone throw the breaker. You can finish it in candle light. Instead of a kiss take a bite from each other's necks.

A pipe organ would be appropriate, playing the standard wedding march--but in in a minor key. Then maybe exit on Bach's Toccata & Fugue for a real send home. You could also have a sacrificial bull that you hoist it up like a pinata, and then swing at it with a Grim Reaper's scythe. It could spew out treats for the kids made in the shapes of internal organs. The groom could act like he was mortally wounded. Or you could do this at the reception if the mortuary where atheists get married has a steep hourly rate.

You could hire some Baptists at random to attend in the congregation (Mennonites if you can find them) without telling them what they are in for. They could gasp and shriek while your family and friends kick back and enjoy.

This could go on. But I did want to acknowledge your post in the spirit of the thread topic. Good luck, but watch your back. People will be sneaking up, trying to sprinkle you with holy water.

:roflmao:

"...sacrificial bull..." Omg!
I have to print this out...it's just too funny for words. You're the best.

It seems you didn't mind reasoning the the shirt of God's back, stipping Him of His Divine attributes, creating a scenario for yourself where it became impossible to know Him through reason, then claimed to be an agnostic.

There is an abundance of revelation, in the form of scripture, and in the form of great souls (like Jesus Christ for example). There are instructions on how to develop ourselves to be able to recieve the revelations, for every type of person. There is information about how the material world was created, information that we will never know by our own limited means. What more do you want?

You said: but if God exists it is surely what He gave me to work with., but yet you use you aparatus to reason Him out of existence, or to the sidelines. You have a brain, five senses, and a body to act with. What more do you want?

I'll answer to this for myself:

The people who promote and present the scriptures and with whom I am eventually supposed to associate with and subject myself to don't seem trustworthy, nor happy.

I don't take issue with any scriptures per se, but dealing with the people who socialize around those scriptures is usually too much for me. Some of the vilest, cruelest people I have ever met or heard of have been theists. Sure, they have usually not been physically nor verbally vile, but they more than made up for it with their readiness for psychological violence. To this day, whenever I see a slaughterhouse truck, whether carrying live animals for the slaughterhouse or whether empty, my frist thought is still of theists and how I have felt among them as if I would be brought to a slaughterhouse, about to be killed, while the theists laugh at me and mock me.

I know how much you like to focus on scriptures and on using one's own mind, but I think you either underestimate the social element in religious belief, or have the rare ability to be quite indifferent toward it or to rise above it.
(And I know for a fact that there are things about some religious leaders that you do not know, facts that may change the way you perceive them, so ignorance may be something that helps you.)
Also, given that you don't take all instructions from your nominal guru seriously - like the instructions to take formal initiation and to join the organization that he started- sure then, many things are much easier for you.

If you approach the situation as it really is, ie, you don't know anything, and what you think you know is subject to serious limitation and error, then there is no need to believe without knowledge.

Unfortunately, such an approach, while seeming decent enough, makes it reasonable to force oneself into accepting and doing things that one finds repugnant.

The trouble is, you think you have something to bring to the table, IOW, you are proud of the feeble, puny information you hold.

Dismissing one's existing knowledge, one's needs, interest and concerns does not make scriptures (or at least what someone presents in the name of scriptures) nor religious leaders right and true.
"I might be wrong, therefore, scriptures/religious leaders are right" is a very poor way to think. I'm quite sure even you don't use it.

In other words you've talked yourself out of belief in God, because you know better than God, and if He exists, it is for Him to come to you personally despite Him giving you every oppotunity in this form of life to come to Him.

I think you may be downplaying the requirements for belief in God, and also downplaying belief in God as such, making into a much more mundane and available thing that some of us are used to.

What intrepretation? You do realise that for someone wanting to learn more about God, and the methods that one can use to develop the right state of mind/consciousness, scripture is the main source.

But you're not actually working with scriptures. You're working with very specific translations, interpretations and commentaries of it.

There are many translations, interpretations and commentaries of the Bible, but you only work with some.
There are many translations, interpretations and commentaries of the Bhagavad-gita, but you only work with some.

More like, clear your mind of noise

Oh? And how does one do that?

No. They have realised it. Why do you have to put your spin on it?

Why do you have to put your spin on it?

The thing is, Jan, that were it not for your (male, black?) pride, and your selective knowledge of scriptures and religious leaders, you'd probably be in much the same situation as so many other people are.

?? I struggle to see what this article has to do with Buddhism. It's about modern Western Buddhism for sure. But beyond that ...

Mildly so to me, but this comment on it was - could serve as my creed:

"... Buddha: “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers andñ elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” ..."

new_banner_1.jpg

http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/

http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/do-not-believe-in-anything-simply-because-you-have-heard-it/

Back