Is faith waning?

Do you think faith is waning as societies and science advance?

• Total voters
Well that's the claim made about him/ her/ it.
So far no-one's shown any evidence that this is so.
Oh wait. No one's shown that he/ she/ it exists at all let alone having done so always.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
:confused:
So I could have faith that I'm going to win a million pounds (even though I don't do the lottery) and that I will ALSO regenerate back to being 20 years old?
And then claim that I should be taken seriously because I have faith.
There's as much "evidence" for that happening as there is for "god".

And another...?
Fallacious statement.

@Dywyddyr

We already exist, I see no reason why we should not come into existence again. You might claim that "evolution" brought us here, but yet this same "coming into existence out of nothing" can happen again, why should it not ?!

@Dywyddyr
We already exist, I see no reason why we should not come into existence again. You might claim that "evolution" brought us here, but yet this same "coming into existence out of nothing" can happen again, why should it not ?!
What does that have to do with the claim by Sojourner (I assume you're responding to my replies to him) that
No one created the designer - the designer always existed.
:shrug:

Coming into existence again would imply that for a period we (or it or whatever) didn't exist.
That hardly constitutes "always".

The OP/ thread title actually poses three questions:

Title: Do you think faith is waning as societies and science advance?
OP 1: Do you think that the need for faith [religion] is decreasing as science becomes more and more advanced?
OP 2: Furthermore: do you think that eventually humans will shed this tendency toward belief in religion completely?

To the first: no. People tend to follow Chesterton's quote:
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing — they believe in anything."
If it's not god it's pyramid power, crystal healing, feng shui, horoscopes or whatever else is available.

To the second: not really. People tend to be people despite whatever gadgets (or education) you give them. There seems to be (for a good number of people*) an innate need to believe something.

To the third: um, maybe. If we lose that we may not be "human" any more. Of course, in that case, we'll just redefine what "being human means". :D

* And I often wonder what "those of us who don't feel this need to believe" use as a "substitute" for the desire to believe. Do we have a "bit missing"? Are we "more evolved"?

Back