light is a measure of mass not velocity

Wow. Misunderstandings, insults, and holier-than-thou posturings abound.
NietzscheHimself, want to start afresh from post 59?

W=.9944

W=(.8,1)

1+.8/(1+1*.8/c^2)=1
Right.

It is the same difference in speed and the calculated difference is .0066

And w=(.1,.7) as opposed to w=(.4,.4)=.6896 is an even larger difference (.058) which is a fairly significant difference.
It's the same arithmetic difference in speed... but that only means that it's the same measured speed of separation.
And we already know that we'll measure different speeds of separation in difference reference frames... so, is this a problem?

It just doesn't logically sit right because we could actually be moving .3 towards an object and read a different speed as a point directly centered between them. Which of course is completely irrelevant to the speed the object itself observes as the speed of the other object (.8)
I think we need to look deeper into why it doesn't logically sit right.

So we have two electrons, measured to be moving at 0.4c in opposite directions (it doesn't actually matter whether we're at a central point or not... we could be anywhere).

Now, we get all our gear moving at 0.3c parallel to the electron's motion, resynchronize our clocks, and measure them again.
What do we find?

Hint - it's not 0.1c and 0.4c.

You might like to consider placing any insulters on ignore for a little while so we don't get sidetracked.

And we already know that we'll measure different speeds of separation in difference reference frames... so, is this a problem?
Not at all. I'm mainly looking for the physical reason we measure objects at such a high speed in this manner. Is it the nature of the universe, or does it have more to do with getting clocks to agree? Or possibly some other reason entirely.

So we have two electrons, measured to be moving at 0.4c in opposite directions (it doesn't actually matter whether we're at a central point or not... we could be anywhere).

Now, we get all our gear moving at 0.3c parallel to the electron's motion, resynchronize our clocks, and measure them again.
What do we find?
I ended up working it out last night actually. Thanks for taking the time to address the real problems of my absolute stupidity.

.6797=.3+x/(1+.3x)

Solve for x and we get .4914c

.6797=.3+x/(1+.3x)

Solve for x and we get .4914c
No you don't. If you mean $$0.6797 = 0.3 + \frac{x}{1+0.3x}$$ then x = 0.428512. If you mean $$0.6797 = \frac{0.3 +x}{1+0.3x}$$ then we get x = 0.476956. Mr Mathematica told me.

/edit

I've realised you made two mistakes, you meant $$ \frac{0.3 +x}{1+0.3x}$$ and you mean 0.6897. Then you get x=0.491369.

Back