Multiculturalism the known good

@SAM

Yes Slavoj is an amazing cultural philosopher from the Lacan school. He's very controversial as you can imagine but he's not someone I would dismiss. I began reading 'Welcome to the Desert of the Real' and many of his essays and from time to time when something occurs in society I google him to see if he had anything to say on the subject. Needless to say he always has something to say about everything. You pronounce the name 'slavo jeejeck'.

Sam: I find his description of the culture of "the right not to be harassed" something that is epiphanic with me.

How so? I understand what he has to say about the Left but I also think they don't have a choice. I believe that though an anti-immigration or anti-tolerant stance is considered very unliberal to say the least but they were losing a growing sector of society who were concerned about society in terms of immigration. If they didn't respond then someone like Geert Wilder's wins, the obvious contradiction is of course that to take up the mantle of the right means losing what there was of the left.

But again I would say that this is because the Left has carved in stone ideas such as being good and good all the time for everyone in every way. Multiculturalism, tolerance etc can only be 'good', if you are against it you can only be bad. This is the same nonsense that leads nations such as the US to venture into other countries under the guise that 'democracy' is good and if you are against democracy you are bad and therefore democracy must be forced. Its not to be considered, the terms are a de facto 'known good'. Its in this same simplistic manner that multiculturalism is being shoved down the throats of populations who have issue with it.

I do agree with Zizek on some points he articulated in those articles but because he is really showing a new angle on the subject I need to ponder it a little. Zizek does believe immigration should be controlled but I also think he believes society should change its criteria for identification, this is a problem of course as the European union identification hasn't replaced the old nation-state and more and more people are reverting to traditional forms of identification. What I am not convinced of is that this is necessarily a bad thing, which is why I take umbrage with Dr. Baker's assertion of turning against one's self-interest and becoming a 'heroic race traitor'. But again all of these ideas are to be explored, considered and worked out. Positions sometimes change.

Sam: We've seen an example of his Roma analogy in the London riots with Cameron threatening eviction of the households of adolescents involved in the fracas [and the resulting Gustav episode on sciforums]

What was the gustav episode? Yes I do think that there is a growing intolerance for rioters and roma's alike. The eviction is part of what I called the isolate, reject then eject process a society goes through when they cannot absorb another group.

Sam: But I say, is that what is behind the Swiss minaret controversy or the rise in popularity of Geert Wilders? One cannot "tolerate" something that one is in agreement with, the simple basis of tolerance [you go your way while I go my way and we agree to disagree] is difference of opinion. Where is the difference of opinion in the European approach to Islam or Muslims? Are they ALL not camping at the doorsteps of Muslim countries literally dying to bring democrazy to the masses? So "tolerance" is not the word I would use here

I don't think you can use the tolerance analysis across the board, he is not speaking of the intolerance of Wilders but the tolerance of a Merkel who appeases a portion of voters by coming out and saying 'multiculturalism is a failure'. I would say that Switzerland, which makes laws on referendum vote is simply carrying out the will of a majority of their people. As a small nation they will not tolerate foreign elements changing their landscape, the Swiss are very protective of themselves not through military means but through social cultural controls. As for camping out they are all not engaged in that, there are countries such as Norway and Switzerland who do not engage in this group activity.

Sam: Again I disagree. Like we discussed earlier, 60 years ago there was no question of assimilation of Muslims in western society - actually historically if you go to see, there has never been any issue of assimilation of Muslims in any society - and if "they" were more like "us" in the climate today, most people wouldn't really care [see the complete lack of dialogue on the same issue in the United States where the vast majority of Muslim immigrants are wealthy and/or educated and ask yourself why there is no real issue of Muslim assimilation there]. The issue is actually one of class and resembles more the treatment of the Irish labour in the US rather than the treatment of Jews in pre-WW Europe - we did not see this ghettoisation of Muslims in Europe until the immigrant class dropped to the refugee/poverty/laboour class.

60 years ago there were not as many muslims. You see this is not about whether you have some diversity, I would go as far as to say that in small numbers these groups are prized and protected, a kind of exotic fascination. Its when those numbers grow and become noisy and demand things you don't think in alignment with the culture that this becomes an issue. Muslims in Europe are not assimilating. A wealthy educated muslim is more integrated than a poor one who clings to a non-secular identity yet still I don't agree you can chock it all up to class. Consider the Poles for example or any number of Eastern Europeans, they are poor and take jobs away and from this angle are more of an economic threat than the muslim populations who are unwilling to take labor intensive jobs like picking potatoes in the UK for example. They are not considered a problem because they don't bring any cultural challenges to the table. Same thing for non-muslm africans and chinese, vietnamese etc. You don't really see anyone save the ultra-right parties who would include them as a 'problem population'.

SAM:
[see the complete lack of dialogue on the same issue in the United States where the vast majority of Muslim immigrants are wealthy and/or educated and ask yourself why there is no real issue of Muslim assimilation there]

There is that.
Mrs Lucysnow:
60 years ago there were not as many muslims. You see this is not about whether you have some diversity, I would go as far as to say that in small numbers these groups are prized and protected, a kind of exotic fascination. Its when those numbers grow and become noisy and demand things you don't think in alignment with the culture that this becomes an issue.

Maybe...OTOH, I think you'd have a lot less problems with them if they weren't locked out of society the way they are.

Maybe...OTOH, I think you'd have a lot less problems with them if they weren't locked out of society the way they are.

But it is they who lock themselves out, I should emphasize that this isn't true for all but adhering to strict guidelines of their religion is partly to blame. I mean we don't say that americans lock the Amish out of society, they choose to remain in their own milieu. If anything I would say its society that is trying to drag them in by forcing assimilation, not lock them out. Its their parallel existence that has become the problem and the solution they are trying to implement is absorption.

Europe is secular by practice, not christian or religious.

Err, "Europe" is not so homogenous as all that. Norway, for example, still features an established church. Sweden is the only Scandanavian country without a state church, in fact.

But it is they who lock themselves out, I should emphasize that this isn't true for all but adhering to strict guidelines of their religion is partly to blame.

Really? Um...
Keep in mind I have only slightly more chance of being able to spend a lot of time in Europe as I would spending a lot of time on the moon...

I was under the impression Europe's Muslims were more effectively locked out financially than ours are.
Ours tend to either be either entrepreneurs or professionals...it looks like Europe's Muslims get ghettoized and used as cheap labor. There's also just a lot more of them as percentage of population.

I wonder to what degree the lockout is due to unwillingness to compromise their religion and culture...and to what degree it has to do with the rigidity of the culture around them?
The US culture...well, it's full of bozos, but we also are almost exclusively a culture of immigrants and those descended from immigrants...we're always assimilating somebody.

I think the analogy between Europe's Muslims and illegal Latin Americans in the US might be closer...

Anyway, I need more coffee for this

Nintendo_Mario_Power_Up_Royal_Blue_Shirt.jpg

Err, "Europe" is not so homogenous as all that. Norway, for example, still features an established church. Sweden is the only Scandanavian country without a state church, in fact.

Percentages of people who believe in god across Europe East and West:

Spain 59%
Austria 54%
Lithuania 49%
Switzerland 48%
Germany 47%
Luxembourg 44%
Hungary 44%
Belgium 43%
Finland 41%
Bulgaria 40%
Iceland 38%
United Kingdom 38%
Latvia 37%
Slovenia 37%
France 34%
Netherlands 34%
Norway 32%
Denmark 31%
Sweden 23%
Czech Republic 19%
Estonia 16%

Italy, Ireland and Greece are the exceptions with the highest percentages of around 70-80%.

@Chimpkin

You have Eastern Europeans who are doing most of the labour intensive work. Muslims in many of these countries work, go to college and there is array of social welfare services available to them. The ghettoization is by choice. The Romany are closer to illegal latin americans than muslims in Europe.

I was under the impression Europe's Muslims were more effectively locked out financially than ours are.
Ours tend to either be either entrepreneurs or professionals...it looks like Europe's Muslims get ghettoized and used as cheap labor. There's also just a lot more of them as percentage of population.

I wonder to what degree the lockout is due to unwillingness to compromise their religion and culture...and to what degree it has to do with the rigidity of the culture around them?

It's entirely the latter - the rising levels of Islamism and radical ideation in Muslim Europe are entirely a reaction to their persistent status as second-class citizens on the margins. Their parents - the ones who actually immigrated to Europe - weren't like that at all. They just wanted opportunities and were happy to go along to get along. But European countries largely dumped them in ghettos and tried to forget they existed, so now their kids are pissed and casting about for any kind of identity that tells them they're worthwhile, empowered humans (and bonus points if said identity politic also says Europeans are a bunch of dickwads).

I think the analogy between Europe's Muslims and illegal Latin Americans in the US might be closer...

Closer, maybe, but still not even in the same ballpark. Basic fact is that Europe is not good at assimilating immigrants on any kind of scale, and the USA is better at such than any country that has ever existed. And this situation arose in very large part because people have been leaving Europe en masse for centuries, and moving to the USA. So the USA developed a culture that was really, really good at working with that, and Europe developed a reactionary culture that is really, really bad at such - fragmented into a bunch of tiny nation-states that define themselves against one another (let alone, people from outside Europe).

All of which might have worked okay for Europe if it hadn't resulted in a bloodbath of historic proportions and declining birthrates, and so precipitated large-scale immigration from distant countries.

Shocking part is that it's required like 2 entire generations of immigrant children before Europe has even started to try to get their heads around the basic issues. I don't know what they thought would happen, but it can't have been very realistic...

@Quad

Is that based on experience, an assumption or opinion based on fact?
They weren't 'dumped' anywhere. Go anywhere and you will find them as merchants, students, taxi drivers and yes on the dole too. They benefit from more than any other immigrant group from the social welfare services in Scandinavia. In France, Germany, Holland, Belgium and the UK they're established communities have long been paired with economic incentives and work opportunities.

Last edited:
They benefit from more than any other immigrant group from the social welfare services in Scandinavia. In France, Germany, Holland, Belgium and the UK they're established communities have long been paired with economic incentives and work opportunities.

In the US all the muslims I meet (or think I meet) are business owners, college kids, or doctors. Well, I have multiple medical issues, I see a lot of docs.:shrug:

Oh, no, there was one nurse at the ENT department who had a little pendant with Arabic writing on it, I think she might have been Iranian/American...
My wife worked with a lot of Iranian professors when she had a programming job at the college.

But a lot of Muslim-Americans I don't see because I live on the poor side of town. They don't.
Here they are more like our stereotype of asians; "Model minorities." They seem to be really civically active, better off than a lot of people, and more driven to go get advanced degrees.

@Quad

Is that based on experience, an assumption or opinion based on fact?
They weren't 'dumped' anywhere. Go anywhere and you will find them as merchants, students, taxi drivers and yes on the dole too. They benefit from more than any other immigrant group from the social welfare services in Scandinavia. In France, Germany, Holland, Belgium and the UK they're established communities have long been paired with economic incentives and work opportunities.

There was a report from PACE on the growing Islamophobia in Europe which analysed the trends and IIRC, there is a strong resistance in Europe to the upward mobility of Muslims. IOW, if they are working as labourers fine, but most parents want to educate their children and offer them a better life than they had - and their children have faced discrimination in all those parts of society which would lead to their betterment. IOW, Europeans don't want Muslim immigrants to compete with them for their jobs, they prefer them to keep doing their parents jobs. This, alongwith the class of first generation immigrants, I think is what distinguishes the American experience from the European one [in the US, Muslim women are the most highly educated group after Jews]

The study finds that Muslim Americans are the most racially diverse religious group surveyed in the United States, with African Americans making up the largest group at 35%., followed by Whites at 28%, and Asians at 18%. The survey found that one of the ethnic groups, Asian-Americans (from India and Pakistan) not only have more income and education than other Muslim Americans, but that their quality of life indicators are higher than for most other Americans, except for American Jews. It finds that as a whole, Muslim Americans are among the most highly educated religious groups in the US.

This educational level applies to Muslim women as well as men. One of the most significant findings of the survey was that contrary to common perceptions, American Muslim women are more likely than American Muslim men to have college and post-graduate degrees. Additionally, they are more highly educated than women in every other religious group except Jews, with 43% of Muslim American women holding a college or postgraduate degree, compared with 29% of American women overall. Muslim American women also are as likely as Muslim men to have a profession, with 30% in professional work and 25% self employed. They also report incomes more nearly equal to men, compared with women and men of other faiths, and attend mosque as frequently as Muslim men.

The study also shows that Muslim Americans are quite religious, with 80% saying that religion is an important part of their daily lives - more than any other group except Mormons (85%) in comparison to Americans in general at 65%. However, their rate of weekly worship attendance is comparable to other religious groups at 41%.

http://www.oismidwest.org/statement-on-galluppoll.htm

-------------------------

Back to multiculturalism and this is a unique example, because it is a society going in reverse. They started with a multilingual, multicultural group and are attempting to socially engineer a group that is homogenous

Lawmakers seek to drop Arabic as one of Israel's official languages
Legislation, backed by Kadima, Labor and Likud MKs, would make democratic rule subservient to state's definition as 'national home for the Jewish people.'

http://www.haaretz.com/print-editio...s-one-of-israel-s-official-languages-1.376829

Last edited:
Atheism is older in Arab lands than Islam [see pre-Islamic pagans] so some people might agree with your hypothesis
You use of the phrase "pre-Islamic pagans" sounds like a slur.

Justinian did his utmost to crush the Neoplatonic Academies left in Greece, effectively strangling Hellenism out of the old Empire and setting Europe on course towards the Dark Ages. Were there really all that many educated "Arab" Pagans left anywhere to be snuffed out by the rise of radial Islamic Christianity in the 800s?

Outside of your classic religious denigration, and justifications for violence, even if just pretend, I seriously doubt there is much, if any, evidence of widespread "Arab" atheism.

You use of the phrase "pre-Islamic pagans" sounds like a slur.

Justinian did his utmost to crush the Neoplatonic Academies left in Greece, effectively strangling Hellenism out of the old Empire and setting Europe on course towards the Dark Ages. Were there really all that many educated "Arab" Pagans left anywhere to be snuffed out by the rise of radial Islamic Christianity in the 800s?

Outside of your classic religious denigration, and justifications for violence, even if just pretend, I seriously doubt there is much, if any, evidence of widespread "Arab" atheism.

okay now its becoming a discussion on Islam as a religion. Again. So I split it here:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2808825#post2808825

Lets keep this thread focused on Lucy's discussion

I live in a world of multiculturalism and I think it's all pretty much for the good. But, this is the thing, where I'm at I interact with a lot of people come from other nations who WANT to be a part of "Western" culture and pay a lot of money to do so - many fully expecting to return to their home country with an experience of living abroad.

Second, Is there anything really wrong with Greek Town, Little Italy, China Town, Little Saigon, Tehrangeles, Little Tokyo... etc...? I don't think so and when you go to those small burrows they're generally there for shopping, for food, for celebrating cultural holidays and you're made more than welcome. Also, the people consider themselves Americans first and foremost. IMO the people who run these burrows want to share a small peace of their culture with you and have a long history or mercantilism. Your chance as an American to experience a little of their culture. NOTE: You can find China Towns in Kobe Japan as well - it's the same as in AU or USA (although my Chinese friend stated: My God, this place is way to clean to be a China Town!).

Contrast that with not being able to go to some dangerous areas of New York because you are White and it's an all Black or all Latino neighborhood. Or being Black and being made to feel like a criminal because you drive a nice car or live in a "White" neighborhood. Or, believe it or not, being made to feel very unwelcome in Western Sydney because you're not a "Leb" or being made to feel like a punk on Sydney's beaches. That's something we may often think about when we're thinking about the negatives of multiculturalism. It's usually people who are not integrating into society or making people feel such that they can not integrate (when they very much would like to).

Which needs to be addressed through education.

Last edited:
The modern multicultural situation and the challenges it presents shows that basing one's identity in either one's citizenship, nationality, race/color of skin, religion, worldview, background culture, sex/gender, age, socio-economic class, group membership or a combination of them, does not grant a safe sense of identity.

That is solely your singular opinion, the fact is that most people for a long time have based their identity, if not partly, on all of those things and more. Without those things I would say that one can easily be sure that they wouldn't need an identity because they would be dead. What you mean to say, and I know this from your fascination with this subject in other threads, is that you do not feel a safe sense of identity based on this criteria. I would go so far as to say pretending to deny these as part of identity is a form of spiritual nihilism.

If basing one's identity in either one's citizenship, nationality, race/color of skin, religion, worldview, background culture, sex/gender, age, socio-economic class, group membership or a combination of them,
would be safe,
then there would be no debate on what constitutes identity and what doesn't,
and there would be no debate on multicultural issues.

There may be strife and conflict, but issues of identity would not be seen as its cause.

Yet, there is such debate, plenty of it.

Last edited:

Somewhat, yes.

Around the 1960's, there begun a vawe of immigrants from Islamic countries to Europe, and they moved there only for work. They worked, for example, in Germany, sent the money home, and went back home eventually. It was only later that they begun to settle down in Germany, bringing their families over.
Originally, they were simply seasonal workers who extended their stay; originally, they didn't have the intention to stay in Germany permanently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_in_Germany

There was a report from PACE on the growing Islamophobia in Europe which analysed the trends and IIRC, there is a strong resistance in Europe to the upward mobility of Muslims. IOW, if they are working as labourers fine, but most parents want to educate their children and offer them a better life than they had - and their children have faced discrimination in all those parts of society which would lead to their betterment. IOW, Europeans don't want Muslim immigrants to compete with them for their jobs, they prefer them to keep doing their parents jobs.

One reason for this is because Muslims have traditionally been merely seasonal workers in Europe.
They came here to earn money, send it home, and eventually leave.

It is this attitude of theirs of being (extended) seasonal workers that prevents them from fitting in, and that prevents the European citizens to embrace them as part of them.

The Turks came to rob Europe, yet again, this time not with horses and soldiers, but with workers.

Which is another reason why there is an inherent distrust for Muslims in Europe:
There are monuments of battles on European soil against Turks.
The memory of the Turks killing, raping and pillaging is still fresh. It wasn't until the 1800's that the attacks stopped.
The names of some places still remind of Turkish attacks.

It is only natural that Europeans have a distrust for them.

Back