Should science replace religion?

Ah, that's why no predominantly Christian nations discriminate against, oppress or persecute their religious minorities.
That's a silly thing to say. Of course some do, as do some Jewish, Hindu and Islamic societies.
Piles of bodies in shallow graves has a certain attention-grabbing quality.
Yep. And millions living together in harmony does not.

People have a pretty deep-seated need to believe in god; it comes from our brain structure. Societies without a god/gods invent them.
Not universally.
Many societies have had no gods, in any careful use of the term. The reflexive assignment of gods (inevitably inferior to the sophisticated Abrahamic monodeity) to them is a known flaw of Western anthropology and sociology and analysis and simple bigotry, which is past due for dismissal and correction.
For a large group of people with a mostly homogenous religion (i.e. most societies until about 200 years ago) it does indeed solve the problem.
In theory maybe.
In practical reality, the "problem" does not appear to have been "solved" in those older societies - at least, the historical record does not present us with longlived or widely distributed examples of such solutions.
Many are quite tolerant. You are noting the exceptions, because they are newsworthy.
The "tolerance" of deity based religions seldom extends to women - that would be the exception.

Yep. And millions living together in harmony does not.
Which millions, for how long? I'm not saying they never have; I'm looking for numerical comparisons, particularly as regards the efficacy of
"edicts like "turn the other cheek" and "treat others as you would be treated"
as practiced in Christian nations compared to the tolerance level of Hindu societies.
I will certainly admit that Islam is - at this moment in history - not the best poster child for religion as peace-making tool...
but these are all religions we're comparing - and it's the ability of all religions to make peace in large groups of which i am skeptical.
If we were to compare religious law to secular law, the numbers might be different.

Last edited:
This argument is actually "people have an innate need for comfort over reality". We're all going to die but that's not comforting. It's not a reason to continue with the ignorance however.

As a child, you may have been given a comfort blanket or animal. It was taken away at a certain age as it outlives it's usefulness at a certain age. We don't argue that there is an innate need in humans for a comfort blanket.

Look at the number of people who say "I have no problem with science and religion coexisting, but I just haven't been shown that Evolution is correct". That's generally because they haven't attempted to be shown that it's incorrect. Their only exposure, seemingly, is as presented by their church.

This can generally be summed up by "I ain't no monkey". No book learning was involved.

Both faith and science attempt to explain the world but neither can replace the other and both must agree. Science results in knowledge, but faith leads to truth.

Examples of why faith is important to people? I gave you a few.

No, you didn't.

Perhaps you don't consider faith valuable, so maybe no examples will suffice.

How can faith be valuable when those who make the claim it is valuable cannot produce a single valid example of faith being valuable? You have yet to do that also.

Um, no. That's not what happened here

Yes, it's exactly what happened.

Edited, reason: not worth it.

Translation: "I am capable of making extraordinary claims, but incapable of supporting them, so I'll move on with tail twixt legs."

what's so hard about understanding that some find comfort in religion?

They make it public such that it infiltrates many facets of society in which it eventually affects me, when it should be behind closed doors where it belongs.

Someone dies, they talk to God, it makes them feel better than if they had no God to talk to.

I wish that were actually the case with religion as opposed to the reality of religion and how it affects our societies.

I don't view that as being rational but so what?

I don't view UFC fighting as being rational, but the UFC doesn't affect society such that it eventually affects me.

Is it at all important if that meaning is true? Is it possible that religion is the cause for a desire for religious meaning? Another case of causing a problem and then supplying the cure?
I don't know about that. It's possible the first glimpses of religion appeared a very long time ago. Of course, it's hard to really substantiate these findings as irrefutable, but it's possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_religion

It seems that many atheists focus on Christianity as if there are no other religions. Maybe because it's been the dominant force in the west, but it's only been around for 2000 + years. Before Christianity, there were quite a few monotheist pagan cult-like religions. If anything, I'd say ancient pagan rituals inspired communities of that time, to band together, and celebrate their newfound spiritual beliefs. That bonding experience can be seen today in mosques, churches, temples and retreats. Different beliefs, similar rituals.

But, would early mystics and shamans have been drawn to their religious ideas, if they had access to science, as we do? Did they look to religion for knowledge of the universe around them? They didn't have the theories that we do today, so they invented their own.

Isn't science a form of storytelling? Isn't it at least as interesting as fiction?
It is, and it doesn't compete (for me) with religion. I just believe that the two can coexist. Harmoniously, I dare say?

Science is the process of finding things out. Even in a world where there is a confirmed Theory of Everything, there would still be a point in investigating myths. They often start around a bit of truth. For instance, understanding how evolution works would not preclude finding out how a particular species works or developed.
True. So, do you think that the world would be better off if religion didn't exist?

Last edited:
It seems that many atheists focus on Christianity as if there are no other religions. Maybe because it's been the dominant force in the west, but it's only been around for 2000 + years.
You answered your own question. Christianity is the blight I have to deal with most often.
If anything, I'd say ancient pagan rituals inspired communities of that time, to band together, and celebrate their newfound spiritual beliefs.
That tells me not that religion is good, but that having community is good.
It is, and it doesn't compete (for me) with religion. I just believe that the two can coexist. Harmoniously, I dare say?
What do you do when they are in conflict? Do you apply scientific rigor to religious assertions?
So, do you think that the world would be better off if religion didn't exist?
In the end, yes. That being said, it's possible for those institutions to do good, because many of the people that make them up are good. But I would take hard and difficult facts over comforting lies. Perhaps a dying child would not.

I would take hard and difficult facts over comforting lies. Perhaps a dying child would not.
If I had a sick child, I would take it to doctor, not a priest.
In a larger view, we might consider those institutions that do so much good in the world - the schools, orphanages, hospices, homes for unwed mothers. It might be worth comparing the conditions and results of their work with the conditions and results of similar institutions operated on scientific principles.

Can you not do that without instruction from a cleric or rules in a holy book?
I'm just saying, there can be compassionate exceptions to my desire to be as true to reality as possible. It's not for everyone. Fantasy has it's appeal.

Believe it or not, religious people visit doctors, and believe in modern medicine and scientific evidence. It's a shame that you guys don't seem to know very many ''normal'' religious people.

Reactions: C C
Believe it or not, religious people visit doctors, and believe in modern medicine and scientific evidence. It's a shame that you guys don't seem to know very many ''normal'' religious people.
Aren't you the one who asked whether the one should replace the other, and me the one who said they are both always present?
This wasn't about which people are normal or good or whether the religious have any redeeming qualities - it wasn't about the people at all; it was about the institutions.
I maintain that the functions that religion serves can't be taken over by science, but can be carried on without organized religion.

Last edited:
They make it public such that it infiltrates many facets of society in which it eventually affects me, when it should be behind closed doors where it belongs.

I wish that were actually the case with religion as opposed to the reality of religion and how it affects our societies.

I don't view UFC fighting as being rational, but the UFC doesn't affect society such that it eventually affects me.
The topic wasn't "does religion affect you".

Which millions, for how long?
Most people, for as long as they live.
If I had a sick child, I would take it to doctor, not a priest.
Yep. And if that doctor said "there is nothing to be done; he will die in a few days" then a priest might provide some comfort to the child (and their family.)
In a larger view, we might consider those institutions that do so much good in the world - the schools, orphanages, hospices, homes for unwed mothers. It might be worth comparing the conditions and results of their work with the conditions and results of similar institutions operated on scientific principles.
Sure. And as long as they are similar, then great - I am glad we have both. Personally I contribute to both MSF (Doctors without Borders) and Catholic Charities every year - they both do very good work.
but these are all religions we're comparing - and it's the ability of all religions to make peace in large groups of which i am skeptical.
Nowadays governments generally do a (slightly) better job at that. But we were talking about the role religion _used_ to play in a society. And back then, telling people "don't kill strangers" and "be really careful butchering your meat" and "don't have sex with sheep" had some pretty strong benefits to the society that enacted such religious rules.

Aren't you the one who asked whether the one should replace the other, and me the one who said they are both always present?
This wasn't about who are normal or good or whatever - it wasn't about the people; it was about the institutions.
I maintain that the functions of religion can't be taken over by science, but can be carried on without organized religion.
Why did you say above ''if I had a sick child, I would take it to the doctor, not a priest.'' That seems to imply that you assume religious people would do the opposite. Thus, my reply to you.

If suddenly, everything about the universe could be scientifically explained, would we still yearn for answers as to what it all means? Are we existential by nature? Existentialism doesn't automatically lead to questioning if there exists a higher power or not, but it often does.

Religion, for many, offers meaning to people's lives. It can contribute something essential to the human condition.

If science replaced religion, would we all somehow stop our storytelling? Would myths and legends cease to be believed, if we had all the answers to the universe, explained to us by science?

Can science replace religion?

I dont know if thers a God or not an i dont have a yearnin to concern myself about stuff imposible to figer out.!!!
If we was able to understand the universe thru science ther woudnt be any superstition.!!!

Back