Why do atheists ask for evidence for God?

Science has been wrong many time thought right?
That being the case, isn't believing in a scientific theory at least to a certain extent faith?

At times where science has been proven wrong, it's definitely not been in the theory stage. At least, a theory where there's sufficient observed evidence (as opposed to a 100% mathematical one).

I have no faith in scientific theory. Instead, I observe the facts and how they correlate to it. Faith has no part in it. This is a common theistic ploy, and one that wont work.

yes nowdays evidence does not mean evidence i forgot about that :). and theory now means fact supported by proof.

"It originates from and/or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method)."

Sorry, evidence means evidence. A theory is:
A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

take a look at the pillars of big bang theory thread in general science and read the articles i postedon the last page and piece by piece prove it to be wrong.

I've no time to waste my reading on such obviously flawed writings to begin with. Try going to college for physics before you write about this again.

At times where science has been proven wrong, it's definitely not been in the theory stage. At least, a theory where there's sufficient observed evidence (as opposed to a 100% mathematical one).

I have no faith in scientific theory. Instead, I observe the facts and how they correlate to it. Faith has no part in it. This is a common theistic ploy, and one that wont work.
Here's a video of James Randi and Richard Dawkins talking. Pay special attention to the part where Dawkins says that things that have been considered certain in science have been proved wrong again and again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqNueGGP_uE

Its not a ploy. Its a fact that what has been considered scientific fact has later turned out to be not true. So, there's nothing black and white about when your believing a scientific fact your believing something that is 100% beyond the shadow of doubt true. And when you believe something without doubt that is faith. In other words you can't know if the scientific "fact" you are believing is one of the ones that will stand up to the test of time or one of the ones that will later turn out to be not true. Being certain of that which you cant be certain is faith.

Last edited:
First off Skinwalker let me say you've raised some good points I haven't seen other atheists raise. My refutations below.

All evidence points to the notion that consciousness is dependent upon the brain.
I have never said that there is no connection between mind and brain. BUt how do we know the inverse of the above equation is not the actual case: the brain is dependent upon consciousness. Consciousness certainly doesn't seem to me to be a physical thing - it has no physical characteristics and can't be measured. How do we know that the consciousness isn't a phenomenon similar to energy?

Nearly every other part in the human body has been transplanted, removed, or rendered irrelevant at some point, however temporarily, and the consciousness of the individual remains.
Yes, there is a definite undeniable connection between mind and brain. What that connection is is anything but clear. To further complicate this people claim to have consciousness after death. We currently have no way of scientifically validating or falsifying this experience since it is part of subjective experience which has proven itself to be more or less resistant to direct scientific investigation (i.e., we don't have a consciousness-o-meter which can state whether a brain is conscious or not). The only way we know people dream is because we've all had that experience. I'm pointing out that there are subjective reports of consciousness after death.
Not to mention that there are data that support this which indicate that by stimulating or 'turning off' parts of the brain, consciousness is altered or impeded. Its very likely that the definition of "consciousness" is one that will need considerable refinement and revision as neuroscience increases its understanding of the human brain.
If science ever shows conclusively that consciousness is solely an emergent phenomenon of wholly physical properties I will believe it. As it stands now, the only way we know consciousness exists as a phenomenon in the universe is because we have direct experience of it and it appears not to have physical characteristics.

You might try reading some of the literature:

Tonon, Giulio (2004). . BMC Neuroscience, 5(42).

Seth,Anil K.; et al (2006). Theories and measures of consciousness: An extended framework Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 103(28): 10799–10804.

Both of these papers and many others go through and discuss a lot of evidence that consciousness is an emergent process of the brain. The latter is critical of the former, but they both acknowledge that evidence exists that demonstrates that the complexity of consciousness is a result of brain activity. If not the brain, what? The big toe? The heart which gets transplanted from time to time? The tonsils?

Here is the conclusion of the first paper:
"Undoubtedly, a full understanding of how the brain generates human consciousness remains a formidable task. However, if experimental investigations can be complemented by a principled theoretical approach, it may not lay beyond the reach of science." There is actually no evidence here. They are trying to point in the direction of how to begin doing actual testing that may produce evidence. But, there is no actual evidence that consciousness is an emergent phenomenon. Remember, I'm not arguing that its absolutely impossible that consciousness is an emergent phenomenon, I'm pointing out that when people believe that it is they are believing something that has no actual evidence backing it up. They are believing it on faith. Materialism of the gaps.

This is an argument from ignorance. Not a single biologist or neuroscientist has ever argued that magic is involved in either abiogenesis or consciousness. Rational hypotheses do exist, whether or not you choose to acknowledge or educate yourself on them.
Without actual evidence when a scientist positively asserts that consciousness is an emergent phenomenon that sounds alot like them saying "it just happens." Thats not how science works. Your right that the first paper does have a theory of how this might happen but there is no actual evidence or any idea at this time how to actually test it. At best its in the camp with string theory. Might explain alot, but without an actual way of testing the theory it isn't science.

No. It isn't. Evidence is improving for both of these fields and the researchers within them each acknowledge that their favorite hypotheses may, indeed, be wrong.
THere is no actual evidence. They have hypotheses which are actually at this time untestable.
Some of them, in fact, hope they're wrong and that others will provide new data.
If at some time in the future they produce actual evidence I will of course not argue this point. But, one of my points is that it is a form of dogmatism for scientists to assert things as accepted facts without evidence.
This is not the case with those deluded by the superstitions of religion. There are no priests that acknowledge their god may not exist. There are no archbishops hoping that a theologian will come along to disprove their doctrines. The doctrines and mythically established dogma of religion is not open to debate, revision or improvement with new data. The hypocrisy, therefore, resides primarily with the religiously deluded who want the benefits of scientific discovery so long as it doesn't criticize or bring into question their own delusions. They want medical science to advance, but ignore the very facts of evolution that are smacking them in the face to obtain that advancement.
You will hear no argument from me on this concerning religous Fundamentalism. However, it is hypocritical for someone to believe that they are coming from a scientific stance when they say that consciuosness is an emergent phenomenon. Science is based on actual evidence. A hypothesis that can be and has been tested.

A statement which I've refuted above. Moreover, for "something to be science," it must be potentially falsifiable. Not just a testable hypothesis. Just because you are ignorant to the neuroscientific work being conducted on the concept of consciousness doesn't imply that science has nothing to say about it that is worthwhile. Nor does the fact that there is a very promising amount of neuroscience being done in the field of consciousness imply that science has it figured out. It doesn't. But scientists aren't dismayed by that (quite the opposite) and don't resort to arguments from ignorance by settling for: this can't be explained; thus it is explained by that. Saying, "I don't know" is not the same as saying "god did it."
I wouldn't be arguing my point at all if what I was actually hearing from scientists is "we don't know." Instead I seem to be hearing alot of positive assertions for that which there is no evidence.

The difference is monumental! With Attenborough, one at least has the option to test his word. With a priest, how is one to test the supernatural? With every objection, the goalpost will surely move.
I agree with you here. But, I find it very questionable that Attenborough has any actual evidence that Ants don't feel love. This sounds like pure dogma. And if Attenborough indeed has no actual evidence than are his positve assertions all that different from a priests?

Just out of curiosity, what is the ratio of the elephant brain to body mass? Is it higher or lower than that of the human brain? I honestly don't know the answer off the top of my head, but the answer may be important to your assumption here.
You would have to look at the point I was arguing. Kenny stated something to the effect that ants can't have emotions because their brains are too small.

Here's a video of James Randi and Richard Dawkins talking. Pay special attention to the part where Dawkins says that things that have been considered certain in science have been proved wrong again and again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqNueGGP_uE

...and? For one, I've dialup, and I'm not bothering to watch that.

For two, if your counterargument against evolution/science is "science has found fault with their hypothesis's time and again", then you need to shoot yourself. Name one well established theory, that had a mountain of evidence, that was proven entirely wrong.

Aside from that, I can't give a rats ass what Dawkins says.

And when you believe something without doubt that is faith. In other words you can't know if the scientific "fact" you are believing is one of the ones that will stand up to the test of time or one of the ones that will later turn out to be not true. Being certain of that which you cant be certain is faith.

Uh, says who? When you know, based on the large collaberation of evidence that something is true, that is not faith.

Oh, by the way:
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See synonyms at belief, trust.

That's faith. Science always rests on logical proof and material evidence.

Oh, wait, what's that I hear? Oh that's right, your entire argument collapsing.

To further complicate this people claim to have consciousness after death. I'm pointing out that there are subjective reports of consciousness after death.

From whom, the dead? :bugeye:

If science ever shows conclusively that consciousness is solely an emergent phenomenon of wholly physical properties I will believe it. As it stands now, the only way we know consciousness exists as a phenomenon in the universe is because we have direct experience of it and it appears not to have physical characteristics.

Are you sure it's not a matter of your not knowing or understanding the science behind the brain?
:shrug:

No from people that have been resuscitated.

And we are to place confidence in statements made by those who have undergone a traumatic experience which resulted in their allegedly dying and then receiving resuscitation?

Is that supposed to be hard evidence, in your opinion?

If theres any evidence feel free to show it to me.

How much of the brain do you understand? If you're to be educated, we'll need to know where you're at.

Except this is a fallacious assumption that you have about atheists. There are plenty of delusional atheists as well. I know of many that are deluded by beliefs in things ranging from homeopathy to tarot cards and ESP. They're clearly deluded.
But how do you KNOW these things are false? This is yet another re-confirmation, atheists think the current evidence is all there is, therefore NOTHING else should be considered beyond the evidence....even though in something known as reality the actual truth is likely VERY different from what the current evidence is....

Thus anyone can conclude that atheists aren't seeking the actual truth....they simply enjoy ridiculing religion...they are not authentically looking for what the actual truth is...since the actual truth is FAR beyond what the current evidence at this present time (2007 CE) shows.....

SkinWalker said:
Evidence of gullibility and ignorance, but not the supernatural. The things you likely count as supernatural probably have many prosaic and very natural explanations. Some of them are probably spurious correlations based on a preconceived belief and coincidence, discounting events that don't provide support for your beliefs. Delusion is most evident among those that claim they "experience the supernatural every day."
No...I know what my experiences are...although they're not really supernatural...just things not included in science....I'll still not discuss them...

SkinWalker said:
Because evidence should be possible. The gods of Christianity, according to myth, were very prolific and interactive with humans. There were clear signs of the dissatisfaction that these gods had with mankind and the trickery they used. Gods like Jesus, Yahweh, Satan, and their demigods performed (according to the myths) feats of magic and sorcery all the time. Somehow, these gods are finished with mankind? They decline to interact with people now? The only interactions are those that a few individuals claim to have but these are very personal and private interactions. No global floods. No fire and brimstone. No pillars of salt for wayward spouses. No water turned to wine. No gods/demigods walking on water, healing the blind, restoring the limbs of amputees, or hovering above cities in flying chariots bathed in holy light.
These Gods and divine beings rarely ever appeared at all....it was something very very very rare....it happened every few thousand years or so....so you know if it was the year 5700 CE then you could say something......

Also all the evidence you described is not real empirical evidence.....

SkinWalker said:
Instead, what we get left with are "miracles" that include vague images of demigods like Mary on grilled cheese sandwiches and in the piss-stains of the homeless at underpasses. Evidence of pareidolia and delusion, not divinity. Evidence for gods should exist. We should see: evidence that the laws of physics were violated in producing universe; evidence that the universe and life were designed by a high intelligence; evidence that the God communicates truths by divine revelation; evidence that scriptural events really happened; evidence that at least some prayers are answered; evidence that the humans are special, have supernatural powers; and evidence that the God is source of morals and values.

We don't.
What are you talking about....why should we see that the laws of physics were violated? What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all....

What we do see on a quantum level (also known as the REAL actual level) are very strange things beyond our imagination....so strange that the implications of QM are often hard to accept even though they are purely based off empirical evidence

SkinWalker said:
Why don't you mind the profanity and make you point without the F-word? While you're at it, please cite the atheist in this forum that made the claim that everything is known. Indeed, cite that atheist anywhere so that I may join in ridiculing him. That religious people are deluded is obvious to the rational thinker. That evidence for the existence of their gods should exist is also obvious. No doubt, the deluded will claim that evidence I've listed above does exist (I can cite examples that claim this in this very forum as well as other places), but in no instance has the deluded successfully made the case that this evidence actually exists. The claims of 'intelligent' design have failed miserably. The claims of miracles have miserably failed. The claims of intercessory prayer have miserably failed.

I'm happy to revise my position that gods do not exist nor are they necessary for the universe to exist. I just require that those that claim such gods do exist not only provide a rational case for their claim but also for why I should accept that it is their god that is the right choice and not someone else's or one that has yet to be discovered. When the latter possibility is considered, it might be the atheist that has the best chance of appealing to such a god! At least we didn't invent a non-existent competitor and create a whole mythology based on what we thought this god would want for us!
Whats deluded is that you have yet to provide what you would consider to be concrete empirical evidence for God or anything supernatural, yet at the sameitme you and other atheists go on about how there's no evidence....so why ask?

Take for instance if you asked me what would be concrete evidence of aliens/UFOs I would say an element that doesn't exist on Earth or Mars (or anywhere else known), a DNA sample of an alien, etc....these things would be concrete empirical evidence.....now in the very sameway what would be concrete undeniable empirical evidence of God or anything supernatural?

Why don't we just set a day where everyone in the world prays to God at the same time and asks that God to send a sign down (pillar of cloud, pillar of fire, some other incredible physical phenomonon). I wonder what would happen?

Why don't we just set a day where everyone in the world prays to God at the same time and asks that God to send a sign down (pillar of cloud, pillar of fire, some other incredible physical phenomonon). I wonder what would happen?
This is still not concrete empirical evidence....you should go study what science really is.....if anything were to happen it would be dismissed as a coincidence...if something did not happen then they would say see nothing happened.....

Also doesn't it say in the Bible not to test God?

M*W: Christians would see a pillar of cloud, or a pillar of fire, or some othoer incredible phenomenon, but atheists would see nothing, because nothing would appear.

This is still not concrete empirical evidence....you should go study what science really is.....if anything were to happen it would be dismissed as a coincidence...if something did not happen then they would say see nothing happened.....

Really? There's not any incredible thing God could do to convince anyone it was caused by him?
What if he made a star explode? Maybe one from Orion?
What if he made a huge storm occur on every part of the planet?
What if he made the entire ocean form into a wall, or something like that?
What if in one instant he made everyone who was blind or had cancer suddenly be 100% healthy?

You cannot simply "dismiss" certain things.

Also doesn't it say in the Bible not to test God.

It wouldn't be testing him, it would merely asking him to do something. Just like if someone prays to God to help their family member heal from a sickness.

Really? There's not any incredible thing God could do to convince anyone it was caused by him?
What if in one instant he made everyone who was blind or had cancer suddenly be 100% healthy?

Not to atheists...to atheists these things will all be dismissed naturalistically....stars exploding...huge storms...oceans forming into walls, people suddenly being healed....elaborate explanations for these things will be provided by atheists in anyway to deny that God or anything supernatural occured....

NDS said:
It wouldn't be testing him, it would merely asking him to do something. Just like if someone prays to God to help their family member heal from a sickness.
Well if you really want to test it...I suggest you start training your own mind....and do what Jesus says....imagine that your desire has already occured...

Not to atheists...to atheists these things will all be dismissed naturalistically....stars exploding...huge storms...oceans forming into walls, people suddenly being healed....elaborate explanations for these things will be provided by atheists in anyway to deny that God or anything supernatural occured....

Yeah, but only insane hardcore atheists would try and rationalize a star exploding, or every cancer patient being miraculously healed in an instant (accompanied by a huge light or something).

I bet that 100% of agnostics, and and other people who are undecided on a God would be fully convinced of one with such a miracle. Also, even though wikipedia states that 84% of people are members of some kind of religion involving a God, I think that 85% of that 84% are actually borderline agnostics who simply call themselves a certain religion.

I also bet that 95% of all atheists would be convinced as well. There will always be that 5% who would try and rationalize to best of their ability, however they would be in the small minority.

Well if you really want to test it...I suggest you start training your own mind....and do what Jesus says....imagine that your desire has already occured...

Seeing that Jesus doesn't speak to people in an audible voice, it's a tad bit more complicated than that.

Throughout the Bible, God has to try and keep a balance between free will and evidence of his existence. God sent down many signs throughout the OT (the ten plagues, the sea parting, the bread falling from the sky, the pillars of cloud and fire, etc.) of his existence. It seems like God must guide the world like the Central Bank and Government guides the economy. God giving humans miracles, or evidence of himself, is like increasing the money supply and total GDP. However, if he gives too many miracles, there is is always that fear of the reduction of free will (inflation - reduction of the value of the $). God must give just enough miracles to keep us believing in him and serving him without reducing our free will too much.

Last edited:

People used to think a solar eclipse was an act of God, after all what could possibly cause the sun to disappear from the sky in midday? "Only God could do that" they said. Or how about raining fire from the sky? Well turns out there was a perfectly reasonable explanation for that too.

What if people never questioned the seemingly divine nature of those things? We'd still tremble in fear of divine wrath every time the sun disappeared instead of knowing what really causes it to happen. Chalking the unexplainable up to divine intervention is nothing more than accepting ignorance about it.

Why do atheists ask for evidence for God?

This made me lawl.

Anyway.

Atheists ask for evidence for the existence of God yet at the sametime admit that gathering evidence is impossible....so wtf?

When they ask you for evidence, it's a rhetorical device. They're requesting that you go and look for evidence to present to them. You're supposed to look and look and look and look and look, and in the end you'll find nothing. It's supposed to point out to you that there is no evidence for a supernatural being, let alone your highly specific idea of a supernatural being, whatever it may be.

Another possibility is that you're confusing atheists with the agnostics that say no one can say one way or the other whether or not a supernatural being exists. If this is the case, please try to think harder before you make us read semantically cloudy sentences.

Back