Why isn't faith embarrasing?

I've seen yogis starving themselves and whipping themselves too.
A Yogi is an adult who has chosen an aesthetics life - those were children being taught by their parents to mutilate themselves.

Whatever people want to do to themselves is alright with me.
No this is not correct. They were teaching children to mutilate their bodies. That is child-abuse. It's no different than parents who teach their own children to have sex for money. It's plain and simple - sick.

A Yogi is an adult who has chosen an aesthetics life - those were children being taught by their parents to mutilate themselves.

No this is not correct. They were teaching children to mutilate their bodies. That is child-abuse. It's no different than parents who teach their own children to have sex for money. It's plain and simple - sick.

I suppose you think watching movies makes children violent.

Shias have the lowest incidence of violent altercations historically. They have fought the least number of wars. But they are the strongest and most enduring of soldiers. They are also only 8% of all Muslims.

Why judge a concept you have no knowledge or experience of?

No children were being taught to mutilate themselves. Self mutilation as a psychological disorder is a western fad.

Rites of passage are customary in Eastern cultures.

Last edited:
For whatever the reason it is still wrong. When would you say it is not?

When its a matter of choice, rather than an expression of pathology.

I would consider using blades to make cuts on your body as a vent for anger or frustrations as unhealthy.

However, tattooing is fine, ear and nose and belly button (and other) piercing is fine.

eyebrow or hair plucking is fine.

Amputation of a limb is not fine.

S&M (getting whipped or paddled) I'm not an expert on, nor asphyxiation and using nipple clamps or anal plugs, so I'll refrain from commenting. I doubt my opinion would make a difference to how the people who enjoy it, view it.

Self flagellation is not something I would enjoy, but apparently it is an expression that some people feel is part of their culture. I don't pretend to understand it. I've seen it and put it on par with boxing or car racing or American football, where people like to inflict pain on themselves (and in the case of boxing or football, others) for no fathomable reason. The way I see it, at least, no one got Parkinsons or their brain knocked loose or broke a knee joint in a Shia ashara.:shrug:

There are also strange tribal practices in India and Africa, which involve inserting bits of metal or wood under the skin or making exotic cuts in the skin as a form of cultural expression. As long as they do not consider it abuse, I would have to say we should let them decide for themselves what they consider it.

I suppose you think watching movies makes children violent.

Shias have the lowest incidence of violent altercations historically. They have fought the least number of wars. But they are the strongest and most enduring of soldiers. They are also only 8% of all Muslims.

Why judge a concept you have no knowledge or experience of?

No children were being taught to mutilate themselves. Self mutilation as a psychological disorder is a western fad.

Rites of passage are customary in Eastern cultures.
Look I could give two craps about what adults do. But teaching 7-12 year old boys to cut open and mutilate their bodies is, in most peoples minds of pretty much all walks of life in about every culture in the modern world, sick.

realsize.gif

realsize.gif

YAY... lets all jump back up into the trees.... .... .....

Or alternately, lets look down on people with a different form of culture.

I would consider using blades to make cuts on your body as a vent for anger or frustrations as unhealthy.

However, tattooing is fine, ear and nose and belly button (and other) piercing is fine.

S&M (getting whipped or paddled) I'm not an expert on, nor asphyxiation and using nipple clamps or anal plugs, so I'll refrain from commenting. I doubt my opinion would make a difference to how the people who enjoy it, view it.

Self flagellation is not something I would enjoy, but apparently it is an expression that some people feel is part of their culture. I don't pretend to understand it. I've seen it and put it on par with boxing or car racing or American football, where people like to inflict pain on themselves (and in the case of boxing or football, others) for no fathomable reason. The way I see it, at least, no one got Parkinsons or their brain knocked loose or broke a knee joint in a Shia ashara.:shrug:

There are also strange tribal practices in India and Africa, which involve inserting bits of metal or wood under the skin or making exotic cuts in the skin as a form of cultural expression. As long as they do not consider it abuse, I would have to say we should let them decide for themselves what they consider it.

Quick question: does this post outline what you think is and is not permissible under Islam? Please don't upset me, Sam.

Why the long paragraph? You know what the issue is.

oh, there it is. interesting.

Quick question: does this post outline what you think is and is not permissible under Islam? Please don't upset me, Sam.

Hehe no don't worry /pats head

My self mutilation is restricted to 3 ear piercings in either ear and a nose piercing from birth.:p

In Islam, self harm or mutilation is forbidden, as you well know.

In fact, even the self flagellation that some Shias practice is forbidden by most of the Shia marjas, with the recommended form of ritual mourning being beating the chests with hands (which is actually the more common practise, the dramatic flagellation seen in the video, a rare and uncommon occurence).

I was just expressing my views on cultural boundaries and tolerance.:p
(and of course :poke: Michael)

You muslims have too many fucking names for evry different goddamned variation of every stinking type of subdivision of whatever. It's too confusing.

You muslims have too many fucking names for evry different goddamned variation of every stinking type of subdivision of whatever. It's too confusing.

I'm trying to educate the great unwashed so they stop hijacking our stuff and associating it with their own crap.:D

I'm trying to educate the great unwashed so they stop hijacking our stuff and associating it with their own crap.:D
can I get a freakin' list or something? some kind of guide? Huh?

don't bother. everythng i post tonight is due to vicodin.

Hehe no don't worry /pats head

My self mutilation is restricted to 3 ear piercings in either ear and a nose piercing from birth.:p

In Islam, self harm or mutilation is forbidden, as you well know.

In fact, even the self flagellation that some Shias practice is forbidden by most of the Shia marjas, with the recommended form of ritual mourning being beating the chests with hands (which is actually the more common practise, the dramatic flagellation seen in the video, a rare and uncommon occurence).

I was just expressing my views on cultural boundaries and tolerance.:p
(and of course :poke: Michael)

Alright, we see eye to eye on this. I will add that many Shi'ite practices are absurd and backward, meaning they seriously need to be stopped. In fact, lots of things about Shi'ites really get me mad, but that's for another thread.

Alright, we see eye to eye on this. I will add that many Shi'ite practices are absurd and backward, meaning they seriously need to be stopped. In fact, lots of things about Shi'ites really get me mad, but that's for another thread.

:p

There's lots of offbeat stuff in India too.

Like the mosque at Shivapur where 11 men lift a heavy stone using only their forefingers

Farther to the east, in India, researcher Andrew Thomas reported that levitation is still performed to this day using chanting. In the village of Shivapur, near Poona (!?), is a little mosque dedicated to the Sufi holy man Qamar Ali Dervish (whirling). Outside in the courtyard of the mosque is a stone weighing 138 pounds, and during daily prayer, eleven devotees surround the stone, repeating the holy man's name. When they read a certain pitch, the 11 men are able to lift the stone by using one finger each. As soon as the chanting stops, the devotees jump back, for the stone resumes its weight and falls to the ground with a heavy thud.

As Thomas noted: "The key seems to be in the chanting, and 11 voices must be the required formula to achieve the correct pitch that makes the boulder's vibrations change and renders it seemingly weightless or at least lighter. The name of the saint is probably unimportant; the frequency is the key factor. It is a similar principle to the one whereby a trained singer can strike and hold a note that matches a wine glass and shatters it."

levitation indeed! :D

Back