Politics of parenting

ThazzarBaal

Registered Senior Member
So I'm carving up a log. It's too big to put in the wood stove. I could split it I guess, but that's just not good enough. Paddles arent readily available and well ... I'm more than a little upset. That's right, I'm carving out a parental paddle for padelling. I should be done within 6 months and they know it's coming.

That's the parental type politics I grew up with.

What does the criminal assault with a weapon against minors have to do with politics? (he asked rhetorically)

What does the criminal assault with a weapon against minors have to do with politics? (he asked rhetorically)

It's curious how undisciplined kids can become difficult in later years, eh? 25 to life is no laughing matter. Hypothetical illustration of purpose of an assault on minors with this type of chosen weapon, rhetorically speaking of course. He brew up a solid 12, but it may get reduced to a 4.

It's curious how undisciplined kids can become difficult in later years, eh? 25 to life iYour plan is to tach a kid not to murder by s no laughing matter.
Your plan is to teach a kid that 'violence is bad' by beating them with a custom-designed assault weapon?

Your plan is to teach a kid that 'violence is bad' by beating them with a custom-designed assault weapon?

Lack of discipline is worse than a paddle. Terming it as violence may be misleading, although the caution stands both ways ... I'm sure.

I'm thinking a 2 ft paddle might suffice. Maybe 6 to 8 inches wide with a nice leveraging handle for gripping and momentum. The wait and anticipation may or may not affect deliverance, but 6 months ... Maybe more would seem an appropriate span of time for the making of for that purpose. Parenting isn't always easy and the politics involved can take some time to grasp. Ha ha ...

Lack of discipline is worse than a paddle.
That's not the point. The point is: how do you know that applying a paddle results in discipline?
If it doesn't then, all you're doing is instilling a deep-seated rationale for violence as a solution.

Do you really equate discipline to hitting them with a stick?

Let's hope you are never in a situation where you need just a little discipline.

Yes, sometimes that type of reminder is necessary. It's much better than serving 25 to life in a correctional facility.

That's not the point. The point is: how do you know that applying a paddle results in discipline?
If it doesn't then, all you're doing is instilling a deep-seated rationale for violence as a solution.

The caution is we're not exempt from correction ourselves, meaning the real world can be monumentally more brutal than a strike on the butt with a flat board aimed with precision in order to inflict an awareness of consequence, both at home and real world after leaving home.

The caution is we're not exempt from correction ourselves, meaning the real world can be monumentally more brutal than a strike on the butt with a flat board aimed with precision in order to inflict an awareness of consequence, both at home and real world after leaving home.
That's the thinking, sure.

It's an old wive's tale: spare the rod, spoil the child.
Doesn't mean it works.

I'll tell you what does work: violence begets violence. Teach a child that you rule by force, and the child will learn to rule by force. That's a paved road straight to jail.

That's the thinking, sure.

It's an old wive's tale: spare the rod, spoil the child.
Doesn't mean it works.

I'll tell you what does work: violence begets violence. Teach a child that you rule by force, and the child will learn to rule by force. That's a paved road straight to jail.

We're operating under different strategies it seems. I learned not to touch hot stoves by getting burned. I was told repeatedly to stay away from the stove, but I was hard and thick headed as a kid. Anyway, after getting burned once I ended up getting burned a couple more times before it actually sunk in ... I wasn't ready to be around hot stoves. After a while apart from the burn and observation of how I should conduct myself around one, I was able to get close and avoid getting burned. It took a few hard earned lessons first, but .... You are correct violence sometimes begets violence but often enough violence or rather violent people will remain violent anyway, despite others being non violent.

With that said, the strategy here is understanding boundaries, discipline, and self control, as well as learning that certain behaviors shouldn't be tolerated. It's ok to apply force when needed and necessary. Otherwise, were left with violent types overcoming the meeker among us.

It's expected sometimes to defend what's right and to condemn what's not. House rules typically apply no matter where you happen to find yourself. So, we are forced to discern for ourselves the most beneficial routes as we compass life as adults. Kids on the other hand, need to be aware of things of this nature, so yeah ... We're operate under different strategies...apparently.

We're operating under different strategies it seems. I learned not to touch hot stoves by getting burned. I was told repeatedly to stay away from the stove, but I was hard and thick headed as a kid. Anyway, after getting burned once I ended up getting burned a couple more times before it actually sunk in ... I wasn't ready to be around hot stoves. After a while apart from the burn and observation of how I should conduct myself around one, I was able to get close and avoid getting burned. It took a few hard earned lessons first.
Agreed.

What does that have to do with hitting kids with sticks?
With that said, the strategy here is understanding boundaries, discipline, and self control, as well as learning that certain behaviors shouldn't be tolerated. It's ok to apply force when needed and necessary. Otherwise, were left with violent types overcoming the meeker among us.
So again - you are OK with your neighbor busting you in the mouth with a baseball bat if you mow the lawn while he is taking a nap? Because otherwise you'll never learn?

Agreed.

What does that have to do with hitting kids with sticks?

So again - you are OK with your neighbor busting you in the mouth with a baseball bat if you mow the lawn while he is taking a nap? Because otherwise you'll never learn?

Interesting how you deem a flat purposed paddle to be a stick and how you equate using it as a parent to getting punched in the mouth by a neighbor. Are you truly against correcting your kids for breaking house rules? I'm a little perplexed at your comments.

On a side note: The neighbor punching people for mowing lawns while they are sleeping might be overreacting and I'm fairly certain aggravated assault charges could apply per house rules, depending on location of course.

Interesting how you deem a flat purposed paddle to be a stick and how you equate using it as a parent to getting punched in the mouth by a neighbor.
Why does that work for kids but not for you? Didn't you just say that sometimes you need to set boundaries and demonstrate that certain behaviors won't be tolerated?
Are you truly against correcting your kids for breaking house rules? I'm a little perplexed at your comments.
What perplexes you?

If we want our kids to do something we ask them to do it. If they refuse they suffer the natural consequences (i.e. don't get to go somewhere they want to go, don't have time for video games.) Usually they agree.

If we want our neighbor to do something for us, we ask them to do it. Usually they agree. If not, well, that's fine. They suffer the natural consequences (if any.)

In neither case is violence needed or even desirable.

Why does that work for kids but not for you? Didn't you just say that sometimes you need to set boundaries and demonstrate that certain behaviors won't be tolerated?

What perplexes you?

If we want our kids to do something we ask them to do it. If they refuse they suffer the natural consequences (i.e. don't get to go somewhere they want to go, don't have time for video games.) Usually they agree.

If we want our neighbor to do something for us, we ask them to do it. Usually they agree. If not, well, that's fine. They suffer the natural consequences (if any.)

In neither case is violence needed or even desirable.

I like natural consequences. They ring the bell so true. Step on the wrong toes and quite naturally, those wrong toes would be eager to step on you. That's the world we live in.

Anyway, a gift for my son. I may be a grandparent one day and well, he might would need it for that purpose. Mean old crazy grandad, I'm sure would be the kids reaction.

Back