The Purpose of Life

You have never questioned existence?
Sure.

The beauty of atheism is that we recognize we are the masters of our own destiny. We decide what the purpose of life is. The fact that there are 7 billion people with 7 billion purposes is what makes life interesting.

If we all decided on the same thing, say, to serve God, it would be not only a mighty boring place, but it would also be quite fascist (in the sense that there would be One Correct purpose of life, and anyone not appearing to view to that single goal would be Wrong.)

It seems to me that theists do not question existence, since they already have their answer.

The beauty of atheism is that we recognize we are the masters of our own destiny.
And if they slip on a banana peel and break their neck, would that be part of their master plan?

It seems to me that theists do not question existence, since they already have their answer.
How many Theists are there in this world?

If we all decided on the same thing, say, to serve God, it would be not only a mighty boring place, but it would also be quite fascist (in the sense that there would be One Correct purpose of life, and anyone not appearing to view to that single goal would be Wrong.)
There are many ways to serve God. If you were to choose one, which would it be?

And if they slip on a banana peel and break their neck, would that be part of their master plan?
Probably not. Shit happens.

If you slip on a banana peel, break your neck and die, is that a sign that God doesn't like you so much?
A lot!
Make trappist beer!

It's a sign that you never had control of your destiny.
Right; we covered that above. But is it a sign that God doesn't like you very much?
Would it stand to reason that at least one might question existence, even though they are a Theist?
Perhaps. Since they have been told what to believe about their existence, however, it is much less likely.
If that's your calling.
If someone decided their calling was to kill the weak to get humanity closer to God's image, would you tell them "hey, if that's your calling, go for it!"

Right; we covered that above. But is it a sign that God doesn't like you very much?
Is death a reality of life?

Perhaps. Since they have been told what to believe about their existence, however, it is much less likely.
Reads like you are telling them what to believe.

If someone decided their calling was to kill the weak to get humanity closer to God's image, would you tell them "hey, if that's your calling, go for it!"
No, but I see no harm in brewing beer.

Is death a reality of life?
Of course. But accidentally slipping on a banana peel and dying is not a reality of life; 99.99999% of the people in the world avoid that. If it happened to you, would that be a sign that an omnipotent God didn't like you very much?
Reads like you are telling them what to believe.
Not at all. They can believe whatever they like. But after decades of being told what to believe, many will tend to go with that. Human nature.
No, but I see no harm in brewing beer.
Ah. So there are ways to "serve God" that you've decided are OK and ways that you've decided are not OK. Great; you are using your own standards to decide what's good and bad.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Do people who believe in God not slip on banana peels?

Billions. Why?

Only for one who believes in God. Being an atheist, there is no way I can honestly serve God. But there are plenty of ways I can serve my fellow man.

Of course. But accidentally slipping on a banana peel and dying is not a reality of life; 99.99999% of the people in the world avoid that. If it happened to you, would that be a sign that an omnipotent God didn't like you very much?
It would simply be my time to die. I have no control over such things. Do people die because God is not happy?

Not at all. They can believe whatever they like. But after decades of being told what to believe, many will tend to go with that. Human nature.
The Spiritual Path is very wide, a multitude of signposts pointing the way.

Ah. So there are ways to "serve God" that you've decided are OK and ways that you've decided are not OK. Great; you are using your own standards to decide what's good and bad.
Everything that has happened has brought us to this moment. Are you disappointed?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Do people who believe in God not slip on banana peels?
Of course they do, and they are in no more control of their destiny than are atheists.

Billions. Why?
I have already answered this above.

Only for one who believes in God. Being an atheist, there is no way I can honestly serve God. But there are plenty of ways I can serve my fellow man.

Right. So not sure why you posed the question.

The beauty of atheism is that we recognize we are the masters of our own destiny.

When atheism can control the universe, much less change the orbit if the moon, I will be a believer.

OK, but you asked me. Not sure why.
Would you agree there are different perspectives on which the word Theism rests? Could you say the same for the word Atheism?

After watching the whole set of through the wormhole I have this question:

"What is the purpose of Life?"

Knowing as a spirit we live for eternity and knowing that there are 10+1 dimensions...what are we doing here? I know I need to stay close to my Family and Friends in here and in spirit...but then what is going on for the next 10 million years or more....

Family is first...but then why the Family...that is what is the Purpose over eternity?

Any good answers please provide. Then I can check that with channel people....that are connected to entities with 5 Billion years of life....

As per Buddha...

"The Buddhist sūtras and tantras do not speak about "the meaning of life" or "the purpose of life", but about the potential of human life to end suffering, for example through embracing (not suppressing or denying) cravings and conceptual attachments. Attaining and perfecting dispassion is a process of many levels that ultimately results in the state of Nirvana. Nirvana means freedom from both suffering and rebirth."

That means I have no idea....

I also saw this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

Thank you....

My answer is omnipresent happiness.

When atheism can control the universe, much less change the orbit if the moon, I will be a believer.
Neither Theism nor Atheism do those things; physics does.

Would you agree there are different perspectives on which the word Theism rests? Could you say the same for the word Atheism?
There is no organized atheism. Every atheist came to their convictions on their own. There are as many flavours of atheism as there are atheists.
So, yes, there are about a half billion perspectives.

Back