Castles

Hmm, interestingly the picture on the right shows a way of telling what may be a real castle from a folly or "rich man's toy castle" (viz. the castle/ palace in KJK's first post). We have a couple of "castles" in the UK that actually aren't.
The stairs go the wrong way.
A true castle is configured to hamper invaders coming upstairs, so they turn to the right as you rise. This means that not only is the sword arm against the newel (central pillar of the staircase) hampering a decent swing but also exposes the invader's left hand side first to allow a strike as he appears.

Until this post I always thought 'folly' meant something else, and your comments about the stairways hit the mark about something I probably would never have known about otherwise. <<<Thanks>>>

When I looked up castles in the U.S. I was amazed at how many of them were exact copies of real castles in Europe.

Until this post I always thought 'folly' meant something else, and your comments about the stairways hit the mark about something I probably would never have known about otherwise. <<<Thanks>>>

When I looked up castles in the U.S. I was amazed at how many of them were exact copies of real castles in Europe.
I seem to remeber someone having one moved to the US stone by stone from (was it) Ireland?

Just a bit of trivia in relation to spiral staircases. Interesting to me, anyway.

clan_kerr_staircase_export.png

Clan Kerr and The Legend of The Spiral Staircase
By Dan Zambonini, July 7, 2010, 4:09 pm in Architecture, Culture, Design, History, Past

The left-handed Clan Kerr and spiral staircases

Spiral staircases were a clever defence in medieval castles. They were almost always built with the spiral in the same direction (clockwise, when looking up from the bottom) so that the defending swordsman, who would either be coming down the stairs or backing up in reverse, could freely swing his sword. Conversely, the attacking swordsman (ascending the stairs) would have his swing blocked by the wall.

This, of course, assumed that both attacker an defender were right-handed, which most were.

Left-handed swordsman, though rare, had the advantage of surprise when attacking out-in-the-open – they had fought (and trained against) more right-handed opponents than their adversary had fought left-handed opponents. Their attack when ascending standard spiral staircases was also not blocked by the wall.

The warlike Clan Kerr trained to use their weapons with their left hands. Scottish Poet James Hogg (1770-1835) wrote, in The Raid of the Kerrs:

But the Kerrs were aye the deadliest foes
That e’er to Englishmen were known
For they were all bred left handed men
And fence [defence] against them there was none

and Walter Laidlaw wrote, in The Reprisal:

So well the Kerrs their left-hands ply
The dead and dying round them lie

Legend has it that, to allow them to more easily defend Ferniehirst Castle – seat of the Clan Kerr – the staircase was built spiralling in the other direction (see illustration above, with left-handed Kerr shown with ginger hair).

Is this true? Certainly, the castle does feature a reverse spiral staircase, but a 1993 study found no increased incidence of left-handedness in Kerrs.

Personally, I don’t Kerr whether it’s true or not – it’s a great story.

http://www.thejanuarist.com/clan-kerr-and-the-legend-of-the-spiral-staircase/

I think it is called Greek revival. Maybe ?

I built many of spiral and circular staircases . With beautiful multiple woods that any one appreciative of the beauty of wood would admire. People in the know have come from England just to photograph the beauty . This is the comment I liked best from a guy from Alabama . He said Quote . The craftsman where I live think they are craftsman . I got to take a picture so I can show them real craftsmanship . How they like to dream . I have turned my own ballasts and newel posts after segmenting complimentary naturally colored . Shaping the rail it self is the hardest cause it don't look like a circle . More of a snake than anything . On of my best had a secret compartment undetectable , Now that was fun doing that mow fow. I call Me work peoples personal stairways to heaven cause usually a younger couples bedroom be at the top of the stairs. You got it ! A setting like that makes babies . A baby making strairway to heaven . Like a cigarette machine makes cigarettes

Last edited:
Legend has it that, to allow them to more easily defend Ferniehirst Castle – seat of the Clan Kerr – the staircase was built spiralling in the other direction (see illustration above, with left-handed Kerr shown with ginger hair).
How strange. IF they were actually left-handed then, as can be envisaged from the diagram, they disadvantaged themselves by having the staircase go the "wrong" way round.

It would free up an attacker's right hand. Admittedly they'd still be able to fight, but who wants a fair fight while defending their own home?

I seem to remeber someone having one moved to the US stone by stone from (was it) Ireland?

That might have been the old family frient Randolf Hearst. He bought butt loads of statues and columns I know that for sure ( Unless the tour guide was fucking evil bastard filling my void with things unreal) No I remember there beauty . I think them not fake

That might have been the old family frient Randolf Hearst. He bought butt loads of statues and columns I know that for sure ( Unless the tour guide was fucking evil bastard filling my void with things unreal) No I remember there beauty . I think them not fake
I think that was it.

Here in Florida there is a famous mystery castle that was also moved stone by stone:

http://www.labyrinthina.com/coral.htm

images

Some more interesting fantasy castles:

The cliffside castle is a great concept to limit where you can be attacked from.
fantasy_worlds_01.jpg

Red hot lava adds a nice touch to this castle.
Fantasy_Castle_by_Kseronarogu.jpg

This one you got to love the flying dragons and scenic waterfall.
Dragon_castle_by_Nagare_Bos.jpg

Very nice fantasy castles, KJ. A bit of the closet romantic in you?

Also tends to limit the number of ways you get to run away!

Ah......the ever pragmatic and practical presence raises a valid concern.

For that reason, one should keep a horse close to hand, trained to come to it's owner's signal....

Beautiful-Fantasy-Castle-Wallpaper.jpg

Ah......the ever pragmatic and practical presence raises a valid concern.

For that reason, one should keep a horse close to hand, trained to come to it's owner's signal....

To escape from a cliffside castle, one would need a flying dragon, not a horse.

To escape from a cliffside castle, one would need a flying dragon, not a horse.
OK, I can see fleeing if the horse or flying dragon is handy, maybe even a flying horse, but only after we have exhausted the hot tar.

page0_blog_entry40_3.jpg

Just getting into the spirit for the Rays baseball game tonight. Look for us on the third base side, upper deck, GO RAYS!

If your talking about dragons, I always enjoy the fire breathers.
Fantasy-Dragon-14084-789948.jpg

This castle from Final Fantasy IV has limited access. Would take a very determined large attack force to beat them.
FinalFantasyIV.png

This is a grim looking castle is called the dark ones liar.
thedarkonesliar.jpg

Back