Castles

Malbork%20Castle%20of%20Teutonic%20Knights,%20Pomerania%202.jpg

The Castle in Malbork (Polish: Zamek w Malborku, German: Marienburg) is the largest castle in the world by area.It was built in Prussia by the Teutonic Knights, a German Roman Catholic religious order of crusaders, in a form of an Ordensburg fortress. The Order named it Marienburg (Mary's Castle). The town which grew around it was also named Marienburg.

The castle is a classic example of a medieval fortress, and on its completion in 1406 was the world's largest brick Gothic castle.

scheherazade

Nice picture including the rainbow. Great looking castle. Seems to be in a very good state of repair. That would suggest it's a big tourist draw and easily pays for itself.

100_1556.JPG

St. George and the Dragon.
Finns and Swedes love St. George, whose basic story goes more or less as follows:

There was once a dragon that was terrorizing a town. The townspeople had to give the dragon two sheep per day to keep him satisfied. Then the townspeople ran out of sheep, so they started offering up their children, one per day, as determined by lottery. I think that's a pretty quick jump from sheep to children! Shouldn't they have tried pigs or goats or something first? Dogs?

Anyhoo, one day the lot fell to the king's daughter (aka, the princess)!

That's when St. George came wandering by and was like, oh heck no, it was fine when the dragon was eating peasant babies, but not the princess! TOO FAR. So he slayed the dragon, on the condition that everyone convert to Christianity. And everyone (except the already-sacrificed children) lived happily ever after.

279989.jpg

Turku Castle (Finnish: Turun linna, Swedish: Åbo slott) is a monument of Finnish history situated in the city of Turku in Finland. Together with Turku Cathedral, the castle is one of the oldest buildings still in use in Finland. Turku Castle is the largest surviving medieval building in Finland and one of the largest surviving medieval castles in Scandinavia. It stands as a national monument, on the banks of the Aura River, as it has done since the 14th century.

Emil

Nice pictures, earlier in this thread I posted a picture of Dracula's castle. But I like your pictures better. Thank you for the post.

Iv seen a house a guy made to look like a miniature castle. He even had a swimming pool for the moat. I thought it was pretty cool, I'll try to get a picture the next time I go to Alpharetta.

I used to ( my family still do ) live about 300m from Conisbrough castle. We used to crawl into the grounds through drains as boys.

I used to ( my family still do ) live about 300m from Conisbrough castle. We used to crawl into the grounds through drains as boys.

Please post pictures.

NietzscheHimself
Iv seen a house a guy made to look like a miniature castle. He even had a swimming pool for the moat. I thought it was pretty cool, I'll try to get a picture the next time I go to Alpharetta.

Try putting 'Alpharetta Castle' in Google and see if you can find pictures sooner than waiting on your next trip. Although personal pictures are preferred if you have them.

No pictures. sorry

Do the following pictures look familiar? If you want to be able to do pictures send me a PM and I'll give some easy tips to allow you to do as many pictures as you want for free. You have over 2000 posts and shouldn't be having problems with posting pictures.
979647.jpg

Aerial_view_of_Conisbrough_Castle_-_geograph_org_uk_-_639358.jpg

450px-Conisbrough_keep.jpg

Bran Castle. Also called Dracula Castle (what is wrong).

Is something wrong, if so I fail to see what it is? Two different shots of the same castle. In the picture you posted I can see some maintenance or reconstruction work going on, but what would you expect with a tourist money maker like that.

Is something wrong, if so I fail to see what it is? Two different shots of the same castle. In the picture you posted I can see some maintenance or reconstruction work going on, but what would you expect with a tourist money maker like that.

I do not know when the photo was taken.

May 27, 2006 - Bran Castle was returned to its rightful owner, Dominic Habsburg.

Bran Castel

I do not know when the photo was taken.

May 27, 2006 - Bran Castle was returned to its rightful owner, Dominic Habsburg.

Bran Castel

Wow That Habsburg name looks like an old Nobels name like Brandenburg

That roof is a roofers nightmare . Give Me Dracula or give Me roofing . I choose Dracula over that roof . Seriously the turret roof section ? No fun at all . Framing it would be o.k. but roofing . Roofers can do that one . Superoofers like "Chad the Brave" Or "Bill Gooden the Good "

Last edited:
Wow That Habsburg name looks like an old Nobels name like Brandenburg

That roof is a roofers nightmare . Give Me Dracula or give Me roofing . I choose Dracula over that roof . Seriously the turret roof section ? No fun at all . Framing it would be o.k. but roofing . Roofers can do that one . Superoofers like "Chad the Brave" Or "Bill Gooden the Good "

Only you would think of that. Just how bad is it? Do you think there were any deaths involved in doing that roof. Please describe some of the problems, you see from your point of view and how dangerous they are. I am very interested in castle architecture and construction.

Back