Now reading (The Book Thread)

"Microbiology - An Introduction" - Tortora, Funke & Case
"General Organic, And Biochemistry" - Hein, Best, Pattison...
"Practical in Biomlecular Sciences" - Reed, Holmes...
"Analythical Chemistry" - Skoog, West & Holler

Presently amid:

Coontz, Stephanie. Marriage, A History: From Obedience to Intimacy, or How Love Conquered Marriage. New York: Viking, 2005.

Rushdie, Salman. Shalimar the Clown. New York: Random House, 2006.​

1.)beltrand Russell's famous essays
2.)The writings of Descarts Vol. I
3.)Atmabodh by Shankaracharya
4.)Upanishads (on mundaka upanishad)
5.)Das Capital - Marx

Rick

Last edited:
"The Myths of Reality" by Simon Danser

Simon Danser asks us to think of myths as like the lenses in spectacles – we see the world through them, but rarely see them in their own right. He then systematically focuses on the myths at the core of the belief systems which create every aspect of what we take to be reality: religion, politics, commerce, science, knowledge, consciousness, self-identity, and much else that we take as 'given'.

This book reveals how reality is culturally constructed in an ever- continuing process from mythic fragments transmitted by the mass media and adapted through face-to-face and Internet conversations.

From the Inside Flap
"This liberal author's knowledge of contemporary society is amazingly broad. He exposits the mythic depths (and appearances) of everything from 'the myth of science' to superhero attitudes of contemporary American nationalism.

"Along the way he challenges many superficial trivialities about myths functioning in culture. He regards the mythic as a primary, highly effective agent of social ideology, and is never hesitant about demanding that the garments of our truly mythological capitalism are ill-fitting and socially harmful.

"This is the best book I know in terms of disclosing the pragmatic functioning of myth in society."

William Doty
Professor Emeritus, The University of Alabama and author of
'Mythography: The study of myths and rituals'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myths-Reali...ef=sr_1_3/026-0558032-4168442?ie=UTF8&s=books

"Ash: A Secret History" by Mary Gentle
Mainly semi-historical/fantasy tale about a female mercenary leader in fifteenth century Europe, but interspersed with emails between the "translator" and the "publisher", which explore the idea of what history is (trying not to spoil it for others).
It's a fairly hefty book, but well written and very thoroughly researched - it serves as a good introduction to mediaeval weaponry, armour, heraldry and siege warfare!

Currently reading:

Russell, Jeffrey Burton. Witchcraft in the Middle Ages. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1972.​

Just starting:

Huxley, Aldous. Antic Hay. (Publisher information unavailable at present.)​

Simon Danser "Myths of Reality"

I've never so much argued with an author of a book before, and neither have I agreed so often.
This book is not neccesseraly an easy experience, but it's worth it.

Read about it:
http://www.hoap.co.uk/alternative.htm

edit: oh, I had forgotten that I had already mentioned it here. :D

Watership Down by Richard Adams (i love it and cant stop reading, almost done now) and Event by David Lynn Golemon (pretty interesting for a sci-fi.)

Contact, Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

He's no novelist. Interesting plot, but too much information. He's like a news reporter documenting everything. The love story in the backround is not believable. With some editing it could be quite readable.

I just learned that Carl Sagan also wrote Marijuana Reconsidered under a false name. I used that book in a high school debate class!! I was assigned the pro-:m: legalization stance, and no one agreed with me. I did convince myself and that was way before I ever tried anything!!

In addition, regarding Contact, the plot seems weirdly dated. In some cases, there is evidence of futuristic advancement, such as orbiting condos. On the other hand, he writes about continuing problems in South Africa and the US/USSR standoff, which really take away from believability for me.

I'm reading:
EO Wilson's: Consilience. Just started

Robert Flynn's: Race, IQ and Jensen. Just started.

My school workload is so ridiculously easy I have to find other things to occupy my time. So I have a lot of time to do other things. I guess going to a dummy shool has its benefits. :)

"The Pusuit if Victory; Life and Achievements of Hiratio Nelson" by Roger Knight
"Die Weltgeschichte in Zusammenhängen" by (forgot)

The Argumentative Indian by Amartya Sen

http://www.amazon.com/Argumentative-Indian-Writings-History-Identity/dp/0374105839

As India's multicultural society confronts violent sectarianism at home and a range of destabilizing forces internationally, these illuminating essays from Nobel Prize–winning economist Sen (most of which began as articles or lectures over the past decade) offer a timely and cogent examination of the country's long history of heterodoxy and public discourse. With sparkling erudition and crisp prose, Sen reminds readers of a capacious cultural legacy that has nourished a plethora of religious communities (including Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Parsee, Sikh and Baha'i), as well as a venerable line of atheist and materialist thought, while fostering ancient advances in science and mathematics, and inclusive theories of governance. Challenging the notion of the West as sole originator of liberal values, the book—which ranges over subjects as diverse as India's ancient calendars, nuclear arms policy, relationship with China, gender and class inequality, representations in the Western imagination and the competing national visions of Tagore and Gandhi—bears forcefully on contemporary debates over multiculturalism, secularism and postcolonial identity. Sen's lucid reasoning and thoroughgoing humanism, meanwhile, ensure a lively and commanding defense of diversity and dialogue.

An excellent read on Indian prolixity and its effects on the pluralistic nature of Indian society

"Substance and Shadow" by suhotra swami

Moving away from the topic of science, I should like to conclude the preface to this second edition by advising the reader that this book is not supposed to be a global survey of all philosophies or philosophical problems. Nor is it supposed to submerge you in abstract, technical complexities. It serves up what I hope are bite-sized samples from a select number of pots of controversy that have been cooking in philosophy for a long time. And alongside each sample, Substance and Shadow supplies the straight sauce of Vedic wisdom. You are invited to taste each sample first without, then with, the sauce. I think you'll find that when Vedic wisdom is added, philosophy satisfies as never before.

some abridged excerpts here

Back