Welcome to sciforums 3.0!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Porfiry, Jan 7, 2004.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

So....its a good thing..the update turns the adbar into an advertisement that advertises products that relate to what you are browsing. At Sciforums I always get ads of Astronomy pictures, A.I.

Helps out sometimes.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Okay, so
    1) Does this mean we'll start seeing more strict moderation in WE&P ?
    2) Why can't we report individual posts to moderators anymore?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

2) Why can't we report individual posts to moderators anymore?

thanks sparks , i have a big BIG smile in my face now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up

i am not sure this works. i received msg but was not notified. worked fine pre update

*server seems to lag. definitely not my end

8. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

it works , at least for me !

9. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

I'm still eager for that white text on that COOL black background though,...

Paaaleeeeeeeeaase?

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Dear Porfiry,

There still allot left for you to do after the upgrade:
    - get back thread reporting: there are allot of threads that don't belong and we can't report it to the mods or you.

- get the signatures, avatar and display title working again.

- allow deleting of threads by poster once posted! I one had to make 4 threads becease of a possible error in the code of polls, twice it would error and crash ie and one I just forgot to allow multi-vote.

keep up the good work and don't kill me for bitching.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

of course I'd love to see the ads go away (as a donating member). not that big of a deal, though it was nice.

12. jinnx Banned Banned

Dave's too busy playing God and banning paying members.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes spookz/eer jinnx he is very bussy as of lately though out of all the forums I have been on this one got the most lazy moderators, but it does take a hell of a lot to get them to ban someone.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  14. jinnx Banned Banned

I ain't spookz umpleby.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

16. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I think wraith was jinxed.

17. jinnx Banned Banned

fetus are you naturally so thick, or do you practise?

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Ok fine your Wraith,

Jesus he’s banning allot of people what the hell did you do?, did he warn you ahead of time???

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

WellCookedFetus,
    In my cases it's not so much lazy, it's just difficult trying to work out what rules to abide by and sometimes what to do with the posted threads.

Admittedly the Forum I was previously dealing with was an easy one since most topics could be answered by myself or others, and rarely needed editing.

Now the forums are merged though, it should prove interesting, although I understand that people still want to have different forums to keep the gamerz talk of whats the best FPS, from the topics of Quantum Computers and their various implimentations.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Hey man lazy was a vary bad understatment on my part based on little evidence and bad logic, I deep apologies (Don't have me banned! plz!!!)
    also you may be aware of my disagreement with having to put non-computer bases technology threads in there.

21. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

After a lot of personal insults and noise from Undecided, and a completely justified request that the WE&P forum be moderated in general, Porfiry suggested a thread in SF Open Government as a new method for moderation. Given the poll results in that thread, and given how clear-cut the case was in the first place against Undecided, and given the total lack of any moderation within that thread (what use is a regulatory system where the offending poster can ramble on unchecked about completely irrelevant topics? Did this not strike anyone else as an insult to the purpose of the entire forum?), I've decided that Porfiry's suggestion is a rather acute failure. And frankly, that's it for me. I've seen no attempts in the time I've been posting here to effectively moderate WE&P or any other forum. The average poster (in fact, the vast majority of the posters) give the impression of being particularly sub-par high school students. The few who don't sound like they're still completing high school tend to sound as though they would be happier posting on freerepublic.com, or just off shooting people with a different skin tone or culture to their own. The very, very, very few whose posts are consistently worth reading, which basicly boils down to tiassa, are simply not worth the time it takes to sieve their posts from the rest of the dross and noise on the boards.

Simply put, ladies and gentlemen, there are boards out there with far, far higher signal-to-noise ratios, where basic civility is a mandatory prerequisite for posters, and where as a result, time is better spent.

Porfiry, I'm cancelling my subscription and you can delete my account.

22. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

You could have at least posted that in an appropriate thread.

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I can't view someone's post more than 500 back, it looks as if the search function has limited to 500 posts. I really enjoy revisiting people's first posts sometimes, can you restore that functionality or point out a workaround?