Wisdom

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wesmorris, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

A smart man will learn from his own mistakes.

A wise man will learn from the mistakes of others.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Cris, nice posts. I just wanted to share my perspective and highlight my questionable wisdom. I've gone both ways regarding personal knowledge. I used to think that it was important to be humble, I've thought it important to have more confidence than you deserve. Now I've realized what I think is true: know your strengths and weaknesses. Don't be overly proud, don't be overly humble. Do your utmost to attain an objective perspective of where you stand amongst the other humans.

I believe this perspective is representative of the economic struggle of life. Know it so you can sell it. I belive it applies to every walk of life. What percentile are you at regarding skill or attribute x? Ball park figures work okay so long as you remember their just guestimations. This way is in my opinion the most efficient way to get through interactions with most of the people... except for family in your personal life... then the same applies but with explicit love in the mix.

I'm not sure I've clearly stated what I intended, but I'd imagine you are equiped to infer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

MacZ,

As we grow up our eyes have more difficulty to see. That book is like glasses for us to see better. Yes, it is a filter, but it makes us see things in a clearer way. Only because our eyes see things blurry when we look at things closely and far away, that doesn't mean that things are the way we see them. That only means that our eyes our grew too fast and became too big, or they didn't grow enough. What we perceive is not necessarily what is true. Do you know what I'm saying? Do you understand the parable?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

truthseeker,

In doing some further research on memetics I found this passage that describes your posts here nearly perfectly. The text below is from the perspective of the Christian meme, which is pretty close to your perspectives. In short your behavior and posts indicate someone who has been infected by a cultural virus.

The third mind game is verbicide.

It is, quite literally, distorting, even destroying the meaning of words so that they have a different meaning to the believer than the non-believer. By giving the believer an understanding of the meaning of words that the authors intend, rather than the generally understood meanings, the general impression of a religious experience (the first mind game) is reinforced. The believer is led to understand the a "hidden meaning" has been "revealed" by the "holy spirit." The New Testament is riddled with such double meanings. When one understands the hidden meanings, the phrase often has a meaning radically different than the one understood by a casual reader. Examples of words with hidden meanings:

Life

Casual meaning – a state of non-death; being aware.
    To the believer – being in a state of spiritual sensitivity arising out of the state of belief; being saved; being in a state of salvation (depending on context).

Death

Casual meaning – a state of not being alive; the endpoint of living.
    To the believer – Not being spiritually sensitive; not being saved; not being in a state of salvation (depending on context).

Truth

Casual meaning – That which is real, verifiable, reality apart from human understanding.
    To the believer – That which is revealed by the Holy Spirit.

Wisdom

Casual meaning – Understandings that are shown to be correct.
    To the believer – the doctrines of the "Gospel" as revealed by the "holy spirit".

The other key words are "righteousness" (meaning being converted and living according to the doctrines), "justice" (punishment dealt out to the unconverted), "liberty" (the feeling of freedom from the effects of sin felt by the believer), "bondage" (being controlled by "Satan"), "love" (a feeling of connection with God), "hate" (not being tolerant of unbelief), "will" (the understanding that you no longer wish to do anything contrary to the will of God), "witness" (being an agent for the teaching and spread of belief), and "word" (the collection of doctrines known as the Gospel). There are other words as well, but the above are the more significant words.

When one fully understands the meanings of these words as used in code to the believer, one can then go back and read the words of the New Testament and understand the intended code meaning.

As one does so, it becomes apparent how the verbiage means one thing to the casual reader and something quite different to the true believer. But what really stands out, when you examine it dispassionately, is how the new, hidden meaning is calculated to influence behavior.

The verbicide mind game is unrelenting in how it is designed to hook the believer into thinking he has a "special" understanding. The principal synergy of this mind game is with the first mind game to reinforce the warm and fuzzy feeling that the believer has, through divine "grace," been given access to something special and deeply meaningful, not available to the "unsaved."

While you might use different variations of wordings you are nevertheless behaving exactly according to the pattern predicted by memetics. And in your case your use of verbicide is extensive.

How accurate do you feel this observation?

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

wes,

Yup pretty much. What it amounts to is that we are trying to achieve an understanding of ourselves. Most never make it, but the closer you come then the easier it is to understand others. Operate within your own limitations.

9. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

No, I don't. That is, I would have to take the first sentence to be tru for it to have any meaning or value, and I don't.

When you argue within parameters of your own making, as you are here, and a truth of your own invention ("As we grow up our eyes have more difficulty to see") it may make sense to you, and seem right, but it would, wouldn't it?

Cris has hit the nail on the head in this, by pointing out how you have attempted to do a lateral shift on the meaning of the words involved here in an obvious attempt to draw everyone in to a debate within your parameters.

As he points out, this shift is away from "generally understood meanings", hinting that there is a truer, or hidden meaning - and that you know what it is, that you are closer to it.

You also do this by stating that experience, knowlege and time have nothing to with wisdom, leaving what? Again, you're attempting to suggest, in throwing out all the commonly discussed possibilities, that you are harbouring a secret. And, as the void you leave is so blank, one could only assume (even without your having mentioned your book) that wisdom is somehow divinely supplied.

You're an elitist. What, for example, is this all about?

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cris,

Those "hidden meanings" are called (by the general public) "metaphors". They are widely used in the Bible, mainly by Jesus. There are also parables (which is clearly stated in the Bible), allegories, etc. They don't distort the meaning of the words, but rather it is a way to explain something that cannot be understandable in the normal everyday language (mainly in those times...).

Another thing is that many of the words were almost mistranslated because the Hebrew and Greek languages work in a completly different way than the English. Words like "allow" in Hebrew were translated as "to do"... which is far different. Also, "of" were many times mistranslated as "in" (Greek), like in "Have the faith in God", it is actually "Have the faith of God", which gives a far more interesting insight.

Besides that, Christians are educated to be humble. They are educated to Love their enemies. We have a far different mind then yours, since we valorize more our well being then our knowledge. We are not "special". God created everyone in the same way. Every Christain knows that. It is true that some Christians feel special, some are even arrogant, but that's by far a minority. Christains see everyone as equal, but strive to help others. They are compassionate. Many are gentle. Many are very tough because of their trials. All of them are warriors wich best weapon is Love. We are different, we are not "special"... God provided salvation to everyone and in the same way God made everyone like Him.

Not necessarily. God gave us a Christ-like mind. Sometimes we use it. I used it in the post for MacZ, for example.

That's completly wrong.

Proverbs 1:1-3
    "1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:
    2 To know wisdom and instruction,
    To discern the sayings of understanding,
    3 To receive instruction in wise behavior,
    Righteousness, justice and equity;"

Proverbs 3:19-20
    "19 The LORD by wisdom founded the earth,
    By understanding He established the heavens.
    20 By His knowledge the deeps were broken up
    And the skies drip with dew. "

An example of metaphors... or "hidden meanings" as you say...
    Proverbs 8:1-2
    "1 Does not (1) wisdom call,
    And understanding lift up her voice?
    2 On top of (2) the heights beside the way,
    Where the paths meet, she takes her stand; "

Metaphors are a sign of wisdom. Those who can compare things in such deep ways must be wise (otherwise, how could they do that?)...

Read this whole chapter... it is all about wisdom... pretty good..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Proverbs 8
    Chapter 9 is good too... The whole Proverbs is good...

It's all about wisdom... But be careful, cause it is all metaphors.

Totally wrong! It means to act like God, to live by God's way, to walk in Love.

Totally wrong again! Justice is the victory of Truth over the lies of the enemy. It has absolutly nothing to do with non-Christians.

No, it is just having his way, not to be controled...

That's almost al right. Love is a deep and meaningful, conscious connection with God. Is an awareness of His presence and an action in His ways.

Completly wrong. Many times the will of a believer is completly different then the will of God.

No. It is just telling the Truth when it is asked.

Far away from that. Word is the inerent power of God. It is the primary thing in the universe.

John 1:1-5
    "1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 He was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.
    4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
    5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. "

"dispassionatly" is quite funny...

When you examine "passionatly", then you get that idea...

That's wrong. That's avaiable for everyone. It is just a question of simply receiving it. You don't want to receive, you don't have it.

You mean that my use of figures of language is extensive? Why, thanks...

This verbicide is a myth. It is simply not true. What you call "verbicide" is actually simple figures of language.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Macz,

Is it so hard to interpret a simple metaphor? I meant that our ideas about the world become distorted as we grow up, by the simple fact that as we grow up, we start interpreting the world in the light of our own exerience, definitions and perspectives. Everyone's eyes are different. Each person see the world in a different way.

Far from that... I simply use simple figures of language since I'm limited by words and my subject lacks words in English (or any other language

) to be expressed. Language is limited by our knowledge. Since I go deeper in this knowledge, then I must use figures of language, as the vocabulary I need simply don't exist. Not much different then Eastern Philosophies in this aspect...

The "hidden meaning" is the interpretation of the metaphor. It usually has more than one interpretation, but all of them are true. It is nothing "mtstica" or whatever, it is simply language. We need to use those tools to communicate (or try to communicate

) what we know.

One only needs to loo to be able to see. If you refuxe to look, then you will not see at all. Do you understand? No? Why? Because you can't understand a simple metaphor??

I don't leave it blank, I show it all. You just need to look. Read what I say and think about it. Be impartial about it. Then, you might get something out of it.

If you are like the world, how better are you then the world itself? If you cannot transcend yourself, how strong you are? If your wisdom is no greater then this world's wisdom, how different you are from this world? For the wisdom you have is no greater or different then that of a killer, thus making you no much different then a killer. For you are separate from a killer, just by actions and intentions and no more then that. You share the same wisdom, you share the same understanding. You are only greater then him in intent and action, but not in knowledge. For he knows no more than you do, and so you know no more than he does. To make a real difference and to be really wise is to be wiser then this world and different then this world. To be a rebel against the system is no crime, but an accomplishment. It is to be stronger than this world, to overcome this world's agenda. From that you get true wisdom: from being different, from being yourself.

12. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

Truthseeker:

There’s no need to explain your parable. I get it; I understand it – in the literal sense. I took it that you were asking if I understood it in the sense of “does it deliver something of meaning, of value?” No, it doesn’t.

As I said, I have difficulty with your premise:
    Rather than repeating your parable, you might like to expand on your premise by offering some hypothetical example to support it, something more substantive that what you’ve offered so far.

You see, I can’t see how we “see less” by seeing more - by having more experiences. You suggest that that subsequent experiences reinforce – reaffirm – mistaken notions gained from earlier experiences, mistaken (in your opinion) because our experiences have been filtered though our minds and are therefore too individualistic, too much of an “illusion”, to represent anything of the “truth”.

It’s my feeling that quite the opposite is true. The more experiences we have, the more we encounter something that knocks the stuffing out of earlier ideas. We become less likely to assume anything at all, least of all the idea that we’re right, that our view, our experience is the defining one.

You (inadvertently?) advocate the value of experience - the more the better - when you say:
    How else are we to discover this, if not through experience?

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

T,

Most people explain their ideas using plain language and then support those explanations, if they are complex, by using metaphors and analogies, etc. The metaphors and analogies have little meaning on their own without the plain language explanation first.

What you tend to do is entirely skip the plain language attempt and go straight to metaphors and analogies. The result is meaningless gibberish to everyone except you.

The English language is incredibly rich in its ability to portray complex ideas and concepts. There are millions of examples across the world of books written by authors who have accomplished such things.

Your claim that your implied deeper understanding of your subject is so advanced that there is no appropriate language to express it lacks all credibility. Given your age and immaturity a far more credible explanation is that you simply lack the basic understanding of philosophical foundations and are desperately trying to express your fantasy ideas without the appropriate vocabulary, something that is commonly available to all average philosophers and above.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

MacZ,

Don't interpret it literally, and then if you think about it, you will understand...

I'm saying that it is more important to know things in deph then to know a lot of things. For example, it is more important to know chess really well then to know chess, Physics, Math, Biology, etc and not being in deph in any of those things. What I'm actually saying, is that as we experience things, we have more and more things to look after and we don't and can't understand all of them in the same deph as if we would understand only one. Do you get? It's the difference between quality and quantity.

What I said is as our eyes grow (as we have more experiences), then we can see less, cause everything becomes blurry (it's like not having enough memory for the graphics, in a computer). The blurriness is to compensate the amount of information. The mind is limited. If it is too crowded, there will be confusion, and it will lack deph.

Well, that's exactly what I'm saying that is not. Our own experiences are not the defining ones, since everyone has their own personal experiences. It changes from person to person. It's like someone that said here some time ago that there is no single Truth, that it differs from person to person. What I'm saying now is that there IS a single Truth that is beyond what we define as truth, to ourselves.

We cannot judge someone or something through what it appears to be. We cannot judge even someone's action. One's action doesn't express one's intention. We all make mistakes. What is a mistake? A mistake is when our actions doesn't satisfy our intentions. Then, how can we judge someone by his/her actions, if we don't know their intentions?? To really "judge" someone (or something) you must overcome your own mind, your own limitations.

What I said there was simply how people make assumptions because of their own experiences. Think of it on that way:
    "If a Jew is good, it doesn't mean that all Jews are good. If your family is hating, it doesn't mean all families are hating. If a nazy is nasty, it doesn't mean all nazies are nasty!"
    In either way, it is your own experience that will state which one of those sentences. If you family is loving, you will subconsciously judge all families as loving. And so on...

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cris,

I'm far away from the limited view of language itself. What I'm talking about here transcend language itself. I try to put it into language, but I'm extremely limited. Since my knowledge doesn't come from my mind, it is quite complex to try to explain it through my mind.

Really? There is a very common misunderstanding when I use the word "you" here... Many people take it really personally. However, I usually use "you" as a general thing, meaning everybody. Why the misunderstanding? Simply because...

Personal Pronouns

..........................singular.....plural
    first person..............I............we
    second person.....you..........you
    third person........he/she.....they

:bugeye:

You judge my maturity by my age... Now THAT is immature...:bugeye:

16. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

Truthseeker:

I think I’ve made myself quite clear on the parable front. Seems to me you’re more comfortable with the idea that I don’t understand than that I do but don’t find any meaning or value in it.
    Says who? Where did you get this idea?
    Again, you know this how?

17. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Nelson,

I think you need to step back and look at yourself from a distance.

In effect you are stating that what you have been saying on these forums is coming to you from a higher power ”my knowledge doesn't come from my mind”. Yet most of your posts appear confused, irrational, incomprehensible, and inconsistent. I know that to you they make sense and that we can’t possibly understand your revelations, right? But none of your ideas are supported by any form of believable or credible evidence or facts. All appear to come from someone with an overactive imagination, resulting in a self-created fantasy world.

So look at yourself and what you are saying. Do you really expect us to believe that you have been contacted by some magical super power that is directing you to say all these things? Or does it make more sense to realize that you are just a young man with little direct experience of life who is lonely and is desperately seeking attention and recognition? Or variations on that theme, I’m guessing here since I don’t know your real problems.

Do you realize that another explanation for such a condition is known medically as a Psychotic Delusion. I don’t think you have gone that far yet, but take care and bring yourself back from the brink.

I said ” Given your age and immaturity”. Low age implies inexperience. Immaturity stands on its own.

Take care
    Cris

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

MacZ,

Eastern Philosophy...:bugeye:

Same as above...:bugeye:

Cris,

As my views differ form this world's view I get persecution...

And actually, those things doesn't come from God, they come from me. And it seems that He doesn't care wheter I'm sayingthose things or not, cause He hasn't been of any help lately...

You said both, everyone connects both...:bugeye:

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

How many people think that?

I'm glad I got the "what you're supposed to think in this world" handout. It keeps me from getting persecuted. LOL

20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Nelson,

The world doesn’t have a view. The world is full of individuals like us. And it is people like us who choose to think and debate that sets us apart from the rest of the world, because most people do not think, they simply believe what they are told.

If I seem harsh on you then I think it is because 30+ years ago I was struggling to make sense of what I saw and I wish I could go back and tell that kid what mistakes to avoid. I was pretty weird then, and some who know me, still say I am pretty weird.

I know.

You’ll figure it out in time. Just keep thinking.

I tend not to be everyone.

Take care
    Cris

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cris,

No. Most people do think a lot more than just believe. And most of those are mislead by their own thoughs, as they make a lot of assumptions and take everything personaly... :bugeye:

My views are completly different then this world's views. Your views do not differe at all from those that are shown on TV. YOU are a capitalist, and a consumist, like the TV says you must be. You have the same views about love, those of car commercials, you know... :bugeye:

But when someone comes with views like "Love saves" and "Truth set you free", or whatever different view that most of the world has, then we are persecuted and said to be... whatever. We are not slaves of the system, and I think that our freedom is what scares you most...

wesmorris,

How many people smoke, drink and use drugs just to be accepted by their peers? :bugeye:

22. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I think the more appropriate question is how many people do those things for themselves, to explore life? You really should take a LOT of acid. Your brain needs rearranging.

23. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

brain shifting.